Cambridge Get Away: Day Three | Duxford Imperial War Museum


So the third and final day of our trip to Cambridge came rather quickly. We had both had a wonderful time, so the thought of it coming to an end was always going to be sad. However, we ended it on a bang.

If you've not read day one or day two then feel free to! But if you have, let's get on with day three!

I had never been here before, I wouldn't say I was necessarily an avid enthusiast of planes, or military transport in general. However, it has always been something I've found very interesting. The idea of seeing all of those planes all at once seemed very exciting, I enjoyed every minute we spent there. In fact, we had spent nearly six hours there, so you can see from that how much there was to see and do. There's something for everyone, including a gift shop, something I love in a tourist attraction, mainly because I collect postcards from everywhere I go.

If you get peckish throughout your trip, they have a café if you fancy a light bite, or a restaurant if you want something more substantial. The prices are actually quire reasonable to say it's a popular attraction and you're pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, enough of the talking right? Lets get to the good stuff! I'll try and caption/name some aircraft if I can, just in case you're interested.

A test Concorde. This plane, unlike the one we saw at Brookland's in Weybridge, Surrey, was never actually used for commercial means. Instead, it was used for test flying, where air pressure etc would be monitored.

This is the Cock Pit to the test flight Concorde

Another shot of the Concorde Cock Pit

We stopped at the Workshop restaurant half way across the site. I had a chicken burger, whereas my boyfriend had a beef burger, both coming in at around £10 each!

This photo features a wing of the B52 Bomber, used during the Cold War. Its an American plane, and its HUGE!

This one features the other wing of the B52 Bomber, the Cock Pit is in the very front of the photo with a black and white frame. It's wing span is so huge, you can't even see the end of the wing.

This is a Lancaster Bomber, the one with NA on the side, it started flying in 1942 under the Royal Air Force. In the background, you can make out the Vulcan Bomber, in service with the Royal Air Force from 1956-1984. Like the Lancaster Bomber, it has been involved with fly-overs post military service but has since retired due to running costs.

***

I hope you enjoyed reading about our third and final day in Cambridge. I highly recommend visiting Duxford, I will leave their website below for you if you would like to know more. I will see you soon with a brand new blog post!


***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts