Things My First Office Job Taught Me


After years in education, it's such a wonderful feeling to finally be earning a full time wage doing something you love. But despite that, there are many things to be learnt from working in an office and they're all beneficial to your personal development, as well as opening up opportunities you wouldn't have otherwise had. Here's what my first office job taught me!

There's no such thing as a stupid question

When you're new, there are many things you have to learn, and this is done through your peers. Those who have more experience in the profession than you do are key to your development in the role, and this is how you flourish in something you're relatively new to. Keep asking questions if you aren't sure about something, ask for advice when you need it and always be open to learning new skills.

Confidence is something that helps you thrive

Having confidence in what you do is essential to learning new skills and working with new people. I didn't start my first office job as a completely confident person, mainly because I was nervous! But as time went on, I learnt to buildup my confidence in a way I wouldn't have been able to do without starting an office job. 

You need the confidence to ask questions and contribute ideas, there's simply no other way around it. A lot of the time, you work as a team and a team can't be helped if you keep yourself to yourself and only do what you're used to. Forcing yourself outside of your comfort zone is crucial to your development both in your role and in your personal life.

Time management is essential

My place of work currently has a flexi-time benefit, which means that I can get into work any time before 10am and leave as early as 4:30pm (or 4pm on a Friday). Despite this, I still like to get up early and be out of the house at the same sort of time every single day. Once I'm in a routine, it can be hard for me to break it, but once it's broken, it's hard for me to get back into it (if that makes any sense).

It's not just getting to work at a certain time that I think is important, it's also ensuring all work is done when required, deadlines are met, work from the previous month doesn't spill into the current month etc. I think time management is important in terms of getting everything completed in a timely manner. Not only does this increase your productivity, but it can also prove to your employer that you're completely competent and a brilliant employee! Hello promotion *wink wink* ;)

It's opened up doors for me in my personal life

I'm so lucky that I get to do something I love for a living, and I'm even more grateful because it has allowed me to do things that I wouldn't have otherwise done if I was still working part-time at a giant supermarket chain. I've been on incredible holidays, had relaxing mini-breaks, bought luxury items - not only for myself, but as gifts for others, too - and saved up a considerable amount of money for the next step in my relationship with boyfie. Without my first office job, this would never have happened. We even have a big holiday coming up at the end of this year, which you'll learn more about soon! 

Either way, I'm so lucky to have been presented with those opportunities, simply because of the job I'm in now and the experience I gained in previous places. You don't live to work, you work to live and I think that's a very powerful message!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post. Have you had an office job in the past? Are you still in one? What has it taught you? Let me know in the comments or via my social media links below! I'll see you again really soon with a brand new blog post for you all!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts