4 Reasons Why We Don't Wear Shoes in the House

You might have looked at someone funny when they've asked you to take your shoes off in their home, but I totally get why they would request that, especially if they have children or someone who suffers with health conditions. Wearing shoes in the house is something that we discourage, for multiple reasons. 

The top reasons being that they make the house dirty and they compromise the integrity of our flooring. We have recently being renovating our home, and it needed new flooring throughout. It's a very expensive hobby, hence why we'd like the floors and carpets to stay in top condition, and that means not wearing shoes in our home. 

Without sounding like a stickler for the rules, I thought I'd write a blog post detailing the reasons why we don't allow shoes to be worn in our house, other than in the entrance way and conservatory. Before you start thinking I'm over the top, let me explain...

They bring in bacteria

According to a source, shoes can bring a wealth of bacteria into your home, including E.Coli and clostridium difficile. The bottom of your shoes are teaming with a variety of germs, many of which can make you sick if they make their way into your system. Not to mention, you could also be bringing trace amounts of both animal and human faecal matter into the home. This is a reason why we have chosen not to buy a dog, either. Removing shoes before entering the house helps to protect everyone who lives there, essentially.

They can bring in toxins

Another source says that wearing shoes indoors has the potential to trace toxins into the home, which isn't great if you live with someone who suffers from allergies, such as hay fever. The ground you're walking on, whether it be the local park or your regular supermarket, will be full of toxins that you'll then be exposing your interiors to. There are two main types of toxin: plant and automobile. 

Plant toxins are anything from lawn and grass matter right through to weed killers and pesticides, which can be toxic to humans if exposed to. Automobile toxins are chemical deposits that are left behind by a range of vehicles, including cars, vans, lorries and motorcycles. It could include anti-freeze, petrol and brake dust. Don't bring them into the house - take your shoes off before coming inside!

It makes my floors dirty 

Another reason why I don't like having shoes in the house is because they dirty my brand new, well-cared for floors. I clean them once a week and take a lot of care to make sure that neither myself nor Tom are wearing our shoes anywhere passed to entrance way. I will take my shoes off as close to the front door as possible and I do that in other people's homes, not just my own.  I wouldn't like friends or family to bring dirt into our living spaces, so I wouldn't do it in theirs. 

They could damage my floors

Something else I don't like when it comes to wearing shoes indoors is the fact that they could damage or flooring, which wasn't exactly cheap and it's also brand new. Shoes like heels and football boots could cause dimples, cracks and punctures in the floors, despite the fact that our home mainly comprises of laminate flooring. I also don't want the carpet to get shoe impressions, which is also brand new. I think that's the issue when you've recently renovated your home, but I think I'll start as I mean to go on.

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Did it enlighten you as to why people don't allow shoes inside their home? Let me know in the comments below and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts