A Review | Birthday Drinks at the Alchemist


As it was my dad's birthday today, we decided to go for some b-day grub and indulge in a few quirky, very strange looking cocktails. Despite not remembering the names of any of these drinks I'm going to show you, I don't really think it matters, as each one is unique, many with a very acquired taste. They have an abundance of cocktails for you to choose from, even non or low alcoholic mocktails for those designated drivers. Anyway, here's what I thought of the place, being my first time there.

The Décor

I was pleasantly surprised walking in through the doors of the Nottingham branch. It seemed to be a rather warm and inviting place, with copper accents and visible filament lightbulbs taking centre stage. The warm glow from the cylindrical lightbulbs gave it a warm and cosy feel, we could have quite easily have spent the duration of our afternoon, into the evening, in there, just taking in the sights of the waiters at work, as well as watching the cocktails plume with smoke or bubble up around the edge of the glasses. There was one cocktail in particular, made with rum and finished off with a giant cinnamon stick, which involved getting creative with fire, something I had never seen done before.

It's no wonder the waiters have to go on weeks of intensive training before being let loose with the many variants of alcohol that adorned the shelves of that which were fitted to the great, historic Georgian windows. There were numerous glasses hanging up in rows, just above where the spirits were kept, glinting in the sunlight which periodically streamed in through the windows. They were all of many different shapes and sizes, and not every cocktail came in a traditional drinking glass, as you've probably noticed from the main photo of this post.

Overall, I was impressed by what they had done with the space. Sofas and couches had been placed around the perimeter of half of the room, complete with comfy stools and a tall table in the corner for those who rock up with a bigger party. Other tables weren't so high up, but were situated in more of a nook, perfect for those who want more of a quiet drink. There's also a restaurant, kept separate from the bar area, where you can enjoy a spot of brunch or a tasty dinner.

The layout was perfect, and I feel like they had made the most of the space they had available. Thinking back, it was the ideal place for a quiet, celebratory drink. It isn't the cheapest of places, so it would probably be better to make more of an occasion of it if you were to go. Unless of course, you're happy to spend upwards of £8 on a cocktail every Saturday evening. It is worth it though, so don't let the price tag put you off.


The Cocktails

I love a good cocktail as much as the next person does. So when we made the decision to come here, something I had heard good things about, I was pretty excited. The impression I got was that it was quirky, like something I hadn't seen before by way of a cocktail. Like most people, I figured there were only so many ways to create a bog standard cocktail, but I don't think I've ever been so wrong. When my brother said "you might wanna watch this" as the talented waiter grabbed an array of different glasses, I wasn't left disappointed. In total, we had ordered 11 different drinks, one of which was non-alcoholic.

I was left in awe of what the waiter was doing, not daring to take my eyes off of him while he made these cocktails, in case I missed something incredible. One drink came smoking after a stint with some liquid nitrogen, while another was made by creating a roaring fire, and another being made with the help of a bit of electricity - yes you heard that right - that made your lips tingle when you took a sip. It was just amazing, I was stood there wondering who on Earth came up with the idea of making cocktails like this? Who could be that imaginative? I feel like that's why it has become so popular. The unique way in which the cocktails are made, together with the chemistry element (see what I did there? Eh? Eh?) has made it a bar, the likes of which haven't been seen in Nottingham before.

To Conclude

I had a very enjoyable visit here overall. The service was fantastic, served with a smile and a side of good humour. The drinks were different, but very much worth the extra money for a wonderfully delicious beverage, not knowing how it was going to come or be served to you. It's a very interesting concept, one which I wasn't so sure about to begin with, but the more time we spent there, together with the amazing drinks and welcoming atmosphere, made for a wonderful afternoon of celebration. Check this place out if there's a branch near you!



***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post. I'll see you again really soon with another one for you! Have a good week :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts