Rip It Up! (the 70's) at the Royal Concert Hall


Last Saturday, my mum, sister and I went to the Theatre Royal Concert Hall in the heart of Nottingham's city centre to watch a fun, exciting theatrical show which celebrates the music and fashion of the 1970's. With an celebrity cast, including gymnast and Strictly Come Dancing winner, Louis Smith, Rachel Stevens, star of S Club 7 and former Strictly Come Dancing champion and ex member of the Pussycat Dolls, Melody Thornton. Lee Ryan, who once made up a quarter of noughties pop sensation, Blue, was meant to be on the show, but pulled out last minute. To replace him, they brought on Giovanni Spano, an X Factor (UK) contestant.

From David Bowie, the Rolling Stones and Elton John, to the Jackson 5, ABBA and Queen, they pulled out all the stops and executed each and every song with pristine talent and flawless vocals. With professional dancers helping to set the scene, I often felt like I was an audience member of Top of the Tops back in the 70's. So in my opinion, they did a fantastic job.

To say it would be another 20 years before I was even born, I managed to sing-a-long to most of the music they performed. At several points throughout the evening, the whole venue was on their feet, dancing in aisles and singing our hearts out to Led Zeppelin, the Carpenters and Bruce Springsteen. Giovanni blew the roof off the place with his rendition of David Bowie's Life on Mars, while Thornton performed a breathtaking version of Bohemian Rhapsody, a world famous song by rock sensation, Queen.

The costumes were on point as well, with each and every outfit seamlessly fitting into the era. Throughout the entirety of the show, I felt immersed in the experience, and my mum and sister felt exactly the same way. During the 70's, my mum was barely in her 20's, reading popular girl mag, Jackie, rocking a pair of extravagant platforms and dancing the night away in those infamous flares. With the Eagles being one of her favourite bands at the time (and who she has now seen live), you should have seen her face when they performed a version of Hotel California. It was lovely to see her revel in the nostalgia!


Overall, the night was fantastic. I think I preferred it to last year's show (the 60's). Maybe it was because I knew more of the songs, but it was a remarkable show with a great amount of talent seeing the whole show through to the rocky poppy, bippy boppy, exhilarating end. If they do an 80's version, you can definitely count me in!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post. Let me know if you've caught this show at some point along their tour. Do you have tickets to see their next performance? Were you at the one I was at on Saturday? Let me know in the comments below or via social media. I will see you again really soon with a brand new blog post.

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts