What to do When Things Go Quiet as a Freelancer


Freelancing is hard work, but it's something you continue to do because you love it so much. So what happens when work dries up for a period of time? Well for me, I use that time to relax and do things I wouldn't ordinarily have done if I was spending the day writing.

So don't dwell on the dry spells when it comes to freelancing, take a break and spend that time to develop yourself and spend time with people who make you happy. You should see it as an opportunity to rest your eyes and your brain and just do the things you enjoy.

So, without further ado, here's what you should do when freelancing work dries up! If you have anything else you think should go on the list, let me know in the comments or via social media (links can be found at the end of this post). Enjoy!

Don't Panic!

It's important that you:

1. Don't take things personally when work stops
2. Don't stress or panic over it

It can be easy to wonder why you started freelancing in the first place, and it can make you think twice about starting up again. But by its very nature, freelancing is unpredictable. I'm a full time Copywriter, and that's my primary occupation, simply because I understand that freelancing isn't a viable option as a main form of income...for me anyway.

But just as you're thinking about making a swift career change (if you're a full time freelancer), an exciting email will pop up in your inbox, and you'll sit there and wonder why you stressed about it in the first place. Freelancing will dry up at one time or another, so instead of panicking about things, embrace the quiet times and make the most of it before your inbox fills up again.

Manage Your Admin

It's important to stay on top of finances and other accounts, especially if you're a full time freelancer. Check that all documents and invoices are in order and up to date, then make sure they're filed away for future reference. I always keep a copy of the invoices I send out, because you never know when you might need them.

I much prefer having hard copies of my paperwork, but then again, it can be much easier to do it all online. So now, I do a mixture of both. You'll find a way which suits you, and when you do, stick to that system, but use the quiet period to get it all in order, ready for the next influx of freelancing work.

Invest Time in Self-Development

It's important to take some time out of your week for yourself. There are many ways in which people do this, I like to spend three/four evenings a week at the gym, and I use that as my alone time. I spend most of my day surrounded by people, so when the working day is over, I like to just stick my headphones in and take some time out bettering myself. Exercise is great for this, because not only does it help you physically, but it can also help mentally.

I think 'self-development' can be interpreted differently by different people. So what I class as my own personal development, you may not, and so you'd have other ways of developing yourself. There's no right or wrong way to do this, but do something which helps you that you might not have had the time for had your schedule been chocka.

Spend More Time on Your Blog/Website

Freelancing can take up a lot of your time, meaning work on your blog can slip. If I feel a writing itch, I'll get out my laptop and a notepad and plan some blog posts in for the next few months. I might even write a few of them and schedule them to go live in time for a busy freelancing period. What's more, batch writing blog posts is a highly enjoyable experience, so get that done while you're feeling a familiar itch, and you'll be set for a while to come. 

***

I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know what you like to do when things go quiet as a freelancer, and I will see you again really soon with another post for you.

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

  1. I would love to work for myself. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture!
    It's nice to have natural breaks in your work schedule; it's true that working for yourself has a lot of ebb and flow. Some work is very seasonal.
    Professional development is another good thing to work on when you don't have any writing gigs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts