Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging


I have had my blog for a long time. Seven years in October, back then I was 17, I had no experience in the world of blogging or social media, I just came across it one day and thought 'yeah I think I'd like to do that'. I didn't really understand how it worked or what to do or how regularly I should post, so I felt I couldn't really keep up. But it was only a matter of time before I got to grips with the whole thing and eventually, it turned into something I loved doing.

With that in mind, I thought I'd publish this post, and share with you the things I wish I knew about blogging before I actually launched a blog myself. There are rather a few things I'd have done differently and I think it would be useful to share them with you guys. It just goes to show, that no one is born being able to write and design and create an excellent blog. It's all trial and error, you'll make mistakes and that's part of the learning process. No blogger is perfect, so if you ever feel like you're losing the passion or the motivation, then don't worry because I do too and I've been doing this for a long time! So let's get into it shall we?

 You Need to Invest the Time

Something I didn't appreciate was the amount of time and effort needed to keep inputting content into a blog. When I first started, I was publishing all sorts, not planning, not inserting any photos (because I didn't know how), I didn't proof read anything, so looking back, it was probably a load of rubbish. What I didn't realise was, certain blog posts take a lot of planning and drafting and proofreading and redrafting. I don't know whether it's the English/Creative Writing graduate in me, but I find it to be most useful, but also very time consuming.

It also takes time (believe it or not) to take decent photos, so when they don't come out quite right, it can be very frustrating. I don't like to edit my photos, which saves me time in the editing process, but not when I'm actually trying to snap the shot! The thing I wish I'd known is that these things do take time, they can't be rushed and it's better to be producing quality content rather than lots of it.

There's a Whole Blogging Community Out There

The thing I didn't realise was, that on Twitter especially, there are thousands of other bloggers who are willing to help and give advice for those who are new or struggling slightly with their blogs. I wish I'd have known that those things existed when I started blogging. When I did feel a bit down about it, I felt as though there wasn't anyone who could possibly understand how it felt, but actually, there were. Being a part of the blogging community can really be a great source of help and support and I wish I had known about it seven years ago.

Taking the Right Photographs

I had never really been one for taking photos off the internet, but if I have to then I ensure I abide by the copyright rules and regulations. The problem I had was either not taking any at all, or the quality was poor, both in resolution and the layout of the photograph. This aspect of blogging was very trial and error for me, as I believe it is very many other bloggers. Like I said in the beginning, everyone will make mistakes and believe some of them are made when adding photos to your blog. From anything to lighting, to resolution, to the relevancy of the thing you're photographing, it can be difficult to get it spot on every single time, and when you don't, it can be very frustrating. But like with the planning of a post, it will take time and you need time in order to produce some photos you're happy with. Once again, it can't be rushed, much like with the written content.

Social Media Plays an Important Role

When I started blogging, I didn't really understand that social media and blogging came hand in hand. So I kept the two very much separate, not really knowing that they can very much complement and help each other. I wish I'd have linked the two up a lot sooner than I did, as it would have been much easier to spread my content around. But it's not only Twitter that can help, but Instagram as well. Any platform used by other bloggers to help advertise their work is worth you joining as well. Learning from others can be valuable too.

Blog Layout & Design is Essential

It sounds so simple and slightly unimportant, but it really is. A cluttered layout and design can often hinder your blog. People these days are all about the minimalist looks. They want sleek and simple, with easy navigation around your blog, they can find what they want, read through the posts and just have a generally great user experience. They're then more likely to follow and keep coming back, because they enjoy the layout and navigation.

When I started, I had a flowering back ground, my posts were all written out in full in one place, which meant two or more full blog posts were present on the homepage, it was cluttered up with unnecessary information, the background made it difficult to read titles and headings. So I gave it a makeover and since then, my blog has become a lot more popular. I cannot recommend the minimalist look enough. Trust me, it will do wonders!

***

I really hope you enjoyed this post and you found it useful. If you've been blogging for a while, let me know what it is that you wish you knew before you started, I'd be really interested to know :) See you next time with a brand new post.

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing with us, I think this website truly stands out :
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme.
    Did you build this site yourself? Please reply back as I?m attempting to create my very
    own blog and would love to learn where you got this from or
    what the theme is named. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment