5 Things I Do Around the House Before We Go On Holiday


I'm sure there are many people like me, those who like to have a clean and tidy house when they come back from their jollies, no matter where you've been or for how long. The last thing you want to be confronted by when you're on a downer from arriving home is a messy home or even to have a list of house chores as long as your arm before you can chill out. 

I like to get home and have the only job be unpacking and then washing out holiday clothes. Seeing as I like to arrive home to a house that's clean and tidy, it requires a lot of work before actually going away, so here's everything I do around the house before we go on holiday.

1. Empty the washing basket

I'm one of those people who likes to come back to a house that needs absolutely nothing doing when I come back from my holidays and that doesn't stop with the laundry basket. I like to make sure it's as empty as it possibly can be, so effectively, no full loads. I like to make sure all the towels are clean as well so as not to make things damp, especially if we'll be away for a couple of weeks. 

I don't necessarily need the washing to be dried and put away as I hang the clothes up on a dryer in the conservatory so they can dry as and when, but I do like to make sure the washing basket is completely empty before we go away, even if it's just for a few days.

2. Hoover & mop the floors

I cannot stand when the floor has bits all over it. Whether it be fluff from socks or the smallest of crumbs, I hate feeling things under my feet and I also don't want to bring it all up our brand new carpet, so I like to make sure our floors are debris-free and mopped so I know they're as clean as they can be. If you'd like to learn more about how I look after my laminate flooring, take a look at this blog post I wrote :)

3. Clean the toaster, microwave, oven & coffee machine

Something I want to make sure of before we go away is that there's no food debris anywhere in the house, so I like to clean out all of the appliances where we cook or prepare food. I thoroughly clean the toaster and coffee machine once a week anyway, but I give them all a particularly deep clean. I also like to give the oven and the microwave a deep clean as well as the fridge. 

I will then wipe down all of the worktop and hoover the floor, using the attachments needed so I can get into all of the hard-to-reach places. There's never anything in those areas anyway by way of food, but I like to make doubly sure so as to prevent pests and insects from feasting while we're away.

4. Set off the dishwasher & do the washing up

I know that setting off the dishwasher and doing the washing up shouldn't come in the same sentence, but there are some things I don't like to put in the dishwasher, including pots and pans and cup and glassware, despite there being a glassware wash setting. So anything I wash by hand is left in the sink. I like to set off the dishwasher, with enough time for it to finish so I can dry the dishes and put them all away. 

I'll then let the dishwasher air-dry for a few hours before closing it, prior to leaving the house on our holly-bobs. It stems from not having anything lying around that could have food on it, really. That and I like to come home to a clean and tidy kitchen.

5. Clean the bathroom & downstairs WC

Coming from a general hygiene point of view, I like to make sure all of the toilets, showers, baths and sinks are clean (including the kitchen sink). I'll deep clean the bathroom, including cleaning the wall tiles and mopping the floor. I'll then take out all of the towels in there and wash them, but I won't replace them until we arrive home. 

This all happens on the day we go away so we can still have showers and brush our teeth etc. I'll clean around the toilets and cisterns and soak the toilet brushes in bleach before rinsing them off. Again, I want everything to be clean and fresh when we get home so i don't have a list of unpleasant tasks to do upon our arrival.

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know in the comments below what jobs you like to do before you go away on holiday and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts