6 Things I Do at Night to Start a Fresh the Next Day

I don't know about you, but at the end of every day, there are several things I like to do before we go to bed that will make my life far easier the next day. From making sure the kitchen is clean to plumping up the cushions in the living room and putting the blankets away, here are six things I do at night to start a fresh the next day!

1. Clean the kitchen

Most people will do this, but I cannot stand waking up to dirty dishes in the morning. I would rather stay up to a ridiculous time doing the dishes than go to bed with them still dirty. I have recently got into the habit of eating dinner and then cleaning up after it almost immediately. It just makes the most sense. 

If I eat dinner and then chill out on the sofa, there's no way those dishes are going to get done anytime soon. I like to clean the dishes ASAP, fill the dishwasher and set it off and then wipe down and disinfect the counter tops, ready for making breakfast the next morning. I like waking up in the morning knowing that the kitchen is clean and tidy because nothing has lingered from the previous night.

2. Clean the hob & the oven

This should come under the 'clean the kitchen' point, but I find this to be an entirely separate job. Before doing the dishes, I will clean the hob (if I've used it). I will remove all of the cast iron pan rests and clean those as well. All I use is washing up liquid and water. I never use anything strong or abrasive on our cooker so as to preserve the enamel on it as it's a range cooker. 

If I have used the oven, I will wipe that down once cool. No matter what it is, from a pizza to a full roast dinner, if I've used one of the ovens for something, I will always wipe it down and dry it off with a micro fibre cloth. I hate giving the oven a deep clean, so I make sure any residue and food debris is gone and that the oven is clean before we use it again. This is something I do at the end of every day, ready for the next.

3. Tidy the living room

Tidying the living room involves a variety of different jobs. If we've spent the majority of the evening in there, then it's likely there are coasters or place mats on the coffee table, a few crumbs on the floor, the blankets will be out and thrown across the sofa and the cushions will be flat and misshapen. 

Part of tidying the living room involves bringing any used glasses into the kitchen, putting the coasters and place mats back in their place, plumping up the cushions and folding up the blankets. If there are crumbs on the floor, I like to give it a quick vacuum before heading off to bed. This just helps to keep the floor clean and stain-free whilst also keeping pests at bay, like ants and fruit flies.

4. Fill up the water filter

We have a water filter jug. We use this for everything, from a simple glass of water or squash right through to a cup of tea, we will only use filtered water. The coffee machine comes fitted with its own filtration system, so we can fill the reservoir up straight from the tap. 

There's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night or the next morning in desperate need of a refreshing glass of water to wet the whistle only to find that the water filter jug is empty. Before I go to bed at night, I will fill the jug up and put it back in the fridge ready for the next day.

5. Defrost some crumpets, sometimes

I don't do this every night, but if we fancy some crumpets for breakfast, I will take them out of the freezer and leave them on a trivet to defrost completely. When we wake up in the morning, you've got lovely soft crumpets that are toaster-ready the next morning. 

I might even defrost a loaf of bread if we need some for the next couple of days. Because there are only two of us, it takes us a while to get through an entire loaf of bread. It often goes off before we can use it all, so I only defrost what we need the night before so it's ready for use the next day.

6. Refill the coffee machine with beans

Much like waking up in the morning to find that there isn't any water in the filter jug, it's equally as frustrating to make a cup of coffee in the morning, half asleep, only to realise that the coffee machine has run out of beans. To avoid this problem, I will check the coffee bean tray to see how many beans are left. If it's running low, then I'll refill the coffee machine with our go-to beans - Starbucks Espresso beans (they're the best ones, hands down!).

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know in the comments what you like to do the night before to make the next day that much easier and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts