6 Habits to Keep You Feeling Fit & Healthy

 


I've never considered myself to be a particularly unhealthy person, but there were definitely a few habits I thought I could adopt to in a bid to be a little healthier overall. They're all pretty achievable and so can be easily integrated into everyday life. I find that staying physically fit and healthy really helps to improve my mental health in general. 

Weirdly, my whole body feels lighter, not because I'm losing weight (although I have lost a little due to all the running recently), but I feel like an invisible burden is being lifted and stress is relieved when I make healthier lifestyle choices.

Seeing as I share a lot with you, my readers, I thought I'd impart some of these healthy habits I've adopted recently in the hope that it can help some of you to feel the same way I do, especially if you're going through bad or uncertain times right now. 

There have been times where, all too often, you feel like giving up or, simply, you find yourself not caring about anything and slowly bu surely, negativity takes over. But having a more positive mindset can really help to eliminate these unsavoury thoughts or you might even find that it turns your outlook around completely, so give them a go if you'd like.

How health and fitness can improve your mental well being

Exercise & depression

Studies done in America show that running 15 minutes a day or walking for an hour a day significantly lowers your chances of experiencing depression by as much as 26%. Not only this, but maintaining a regular and achievable exercise routine can reduce the chances of you relapsing back into a depressive state of mind.

Regular exercise will also allow for changes to be made in the brain, such as reduced inflammation, new activity patterns and even neural growth. You're also able to experience natural highs as a result of regular cardio because your brain release endorphins. 

Exercise will also serve as a welcome distraction for many, allowing for some quiet time alone with your own thoughts. I often use that time to think things through on a private level and I'll often come up with solutions to certain problems I've been having while on a lengthy run.

Exercise & anxiety

I've suffered with mild anxiety and panic attacks for years, nothing really seemed to help when it came to that kind of thing, other than exercise. Since maintaining a regular routine, I haven't suffered any panic attacks which is great! Again, this is as a result of endorphins or "happy" chemicals being released in the brain. 

Ways to enhance this feeling and to fully immerse myself in the running experience, is to notice the little things, such as the feeling under my feet when they hit the ground or the wind through my hair or the rhythm of my breathing. Being in the flow really helps to ease negative thoughts and feelings. Overall, I feel much happier in myself regardless of anything I may be going through at the time.

Exercise & stress

Stress not only floods your brain, but it can also be felt within your body. You may find yourself feeling physically tense with sore muscles popping up here there and everywhere. If you're feeling stressed or anxious about something, then it might not be the way you're sitting at your desk that's the problem, it could all simply be a mental game.

Now, I'm not saying that there's anything simple about mental health or well being. Everyone is different and are experiencing different things, so it's actually very complicated when it comes to enhancing or improving one's mental health. But there are certain things that can help and that includes exercise (surprise, surprise).

Stress doesn't just result in tense muscles, it can also cause insomnia, heartburn, stomach aches, stomach ulcers, frequent urination and even IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Experiencing these problems could then lead to even more stress and you'll soon find yourself in a vicious circle. Studies often show that your mind and body are very closely linked, so if your body is happy then it's very likely your mind will follow suit.

6 habits to adopt that will keep you fit & healthy

1. Try to get around 30 minutes of exercise in each day

30 minutes sounds like quite a long time when it comes to exercising, but it could simply mean walking to the shops instead of taking the car or walking to work instead of getting the bus. Either way, there aren't any excuses for not getting 30 minutes of exercise a day, at least. 

"Exercise" doesn't just mean hitting the gym or going for a lengthy run, you could walk, swim, cycle or even do some weight training. Running round the house with the vacuum cleaner for half an hour would also count, so long as you're moving for 30 minutes and getting your heart pumping, then it doesn't really matter :)

2. Take the stairs where possible

Always taking the stairs will definitely allow you to reap the benefits as time goes on. Much like walking up a hill, it can be somewhat of a struggle if you aren't used to it, but gradually, you'll start to feel yourself getting fitter. It might be that you can walk up them quicker than before or, just perhaps, you'll be able to manage one more flight than usual! Always take the stairs and keep it up, because it'll all add up eventually.

3. Start your day off with a pint of water

I drink a lot of water throughout the course of the day. I hate being dehydrated as it can cause me to feel nauseous and groggy - like it would anyone - so drinking plenty of fluids is always the answer to feeling refreshed and energised. 

I'm one of those people who carries a reusable water bottle around with me everywhere for that very reason, it also helps should anyone else need a drink, particularly on a hot summer's day.

Don't get me wrong, you can still enjoy your morning cup of Joe, but drinking a glass of water before you do so can help to wake up your system, making for the perfect kick start to your day, especially if you've opted for a slightly colder glass of water instead of one of room temperature.

4. Meal-prep, ready for busy days

I found that on days where I was especially busy, I'd either forget to eat altogether or I'd find myself eating unhealthily, opting for a pre-packaged sandwich as part of a supermarket meal deal - not the healthiest of choices, really.

In a bid to be more mindful about what it is I'm putting in my body, I'll spend the time to pre-cook a healthier, hearty lunch or dinner for days where I know I'll struggle to find time to either eat anything at all, or to actually think about the food choices I'm making. 

Even when eating out in restaurants, I find myself going for fresh fish dishes or vegetarian meals if I'm not too sure about anything else. 

Meal prepping will have you thinking about more than just what you can eat on the go, but more about the nutritional value of it all. "Superfoods" are something you should read up on if meal prepping sounds beneficial to you, especially if you work busy shifts or are always on the go.

Here's a really helpful article that explains what superfoods are and why they're important when it comes to diet and nutrition: What are Superfoods? - Holland and Barrett

I also wrote a blog post detailing how you can enhance your morning coffee with superfoods, take a look.

5. Put down your phone & read a book before bed

I'm not asking you to read an entire book before bedtime, although I wish I could! Instead, find a book you think you'd enjoy and read a few pages before you nod off as opposed to looking through your phone or having one last scroll through your Twitter feed. Reading will tire your eyes out just enough that you'll drop off relatively easily, all without an annoying back-lit device.

Now, there's a reason why many experts all over the world recommend that you give your phone a rest before getting some shut eye, and it's all down to the light it emits. Apparently, this is "blue light" and it's responsible for delaying the production of melatonin, a hormone controlling your sleep-wake cycle. 

The absence or even reduced levels of melatonin can affect how long it takes you to fall asleep together with the quality of sleep you get. One might experience less REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, instead only remaining in lighter stages of the sleep cycle. REM sleep is highly beneficial for memory retention and brain recharging, so experiencing less REM sleep can really be detrimental to our mental and physical health.

It's even been reported that people who get less or sleep, or sleep of a lower quality, are more likely to put on weight or struggle to keep it off. This is mainly because they will feel tired during the day, making it more likely that they'll skip that gym session or decide to drive to work instead of walk for those extra minutes in bed.

Basically, put your phone down or switch it off an hour before you hit the hay and pick up a good, old fashioned book instead - you'll thank me later :)

6. Cook at home whenever you're able

This touches on the same point as the meal prepping habit. Cooking at home will make you more aware of what you're putting into your body, which should, in theory, make it a much healthier lifestyle choice than opting for ready meals, takeaways or eating out all the time. 

I'm not saying you still can't buy and eat those things, but keep it to a minimum if possible and do some research into ideal portion sizes, superfoods and veggie alternatives to meat products. 

Again, planning ahead will really help with this one, not only will you know what's healthy and what isn't, but it could also help you to budget when it comes to your weekly food shop. You may even save money on eating out by giving it a go yourself at home, so it's healthy for both your body and your bank account!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post. Let me know what healthy habits you've adopted recently in a bid to be a little more fit and healthy. I'll see you again really soon with a brand new blog post!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts