My Working From Home Routine

I feel like the vast majority of the British population are working from home, so to give you some insight into what I do when I'm working remotely and how I keep myself busy and motivated throughout the day, I thought I'd write up this little blog post for you. Don't get me wrong, it's not an overly exciting day, but I find it interesting to see what other people get up to and how they structure their day when working from home, so I jumped on that bandwagon as well :) I hope you enjoy!

The most important meal of the day

I never used to eat breakfast, and when I did, it was a very rushed banana on the way into the office or a rushed yoghurt at my desk while checking my emails. I found that working from home granted me that extra time to actually sit down, enjoy a coffee and a bowl of cereal or a crumpet (although recently, I've been enjoying a toasted hot cross bun) and then get into the swing of things in terms of getting some work done, and all before 9am!

Make a to-do list

I'll sit down at my desk and take a look at the tasks that had been laid out the month before, I'll then write down a list of things that need to be done that day and I'll go from there. I even include the time I'll be going for lunch and set myself mini deadlines throughout the day. I'm trying to get into the habit of noting it all down on a daily planner so it's a bit clearer, but that's how I start my working day :)

Put tasks in order of priority

So think about that list I made at the start of the day, well I'll simply order those depending on how important or pressing they are. If an article needs to go live that day, I'll get to working prepping and writing that article, but if some images need sorting out for another client after an urgent phone call, then that task will then take priority. Given the nature of the work I do, the priority of those initial tasks could change throughout the day, it just depends on what each client wants or on whether I've been asked to bump something up my to-do list by a colleague. 

Check my emails

I will always check my emails, even though I've got notifications turned on. You never know what could slip through the net when you've gone to the loo or need to go and get a drink or a snack to keep you going. The last thing I would want would be to unknowingly ignore an email from a client or a colleague, even if it's just something small - communication is key, I believe, no matter what it is you do.

Go for a run

Now, sometimes I'll go for a run in the morning, but that really does depend on the weather and the amount of sleep I got the night before. If I feel tired and sluggish when I get up in the morning, then I won't be performing very well during my run. So sometimes, I'll go at lunchtime but before I eat any food. Either way, going for a run forms part of my routine when working from home, mainly because it feels good to get up and get moving after spending hours sat down at a computer, working.

Have some lunch & enjoy some downtime

When I get back from my run, I'll drink a large glass of water, stretch out my legs, use a foam roller, have a shower then I'll eat lunch. Much of the time, I'll eat one sandwich with some low fat herb cream cheese, half an avocado, a packet of quavers and a hob nob for pud! After that, I'll watch a bit of TV, chill out for a bit on the sofa and then get back to work. This might well change during the summer months, as it would be nice to spend more time outside during lunch breaks :)

Get back to work

After I've had a bit of a rest, I'll get back to work and that's what I'll be doing from about 2pm to 5:30 in the evening. It mainly consists of writing more articles and website copy as well as doing research into different topics, checking emails and making up content calendars.

Close the laptop & spend time with my SO

Once half past five rolls around, I'll close my laptop and get some dinner on with Tom. We usually sit down and have dinner by 7pm at the latest and then we might take a trip out to the supermarket to get a few bits or even go for a walk around the block to stretch our legs a bit. After that, we'll tidy up, chill out and get ready to go to bed, in preparation for another, action-packed day!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post! Let me know what your working from home routine is like these days. Is it the same as mine? Leave your accounts in the comments section below. I'll see you again really soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts