What Are Anti-Goals & Why Should You Have Them?

When it comes to personal growth, it often starts with answering the question of: what do you want? You can make yourself a list of goals, create vision boards, set targets and imagine the person you want to be.

But there's another question that's often forgotten about, but is more powerful, and that's 'what don't you want?' This is where anti-goals come in. But what are they, why are they important and how can you create them yourself? Let's find out.

What are anti-goals?

Anti-goals are boundaries that hep you to define what success shouldn't be costing you. An example would be "I want to become successful in my career", which is a traditional goal, but the anti-goal version would be "I don't want to spend every evening working and having no time for my family or friends." Other examples of anti-goals include:
  • I don't want to be stressed about money all the time
  • I don't want to work over the weekend
  • I don't want to spend hours on the phone
  • I don't want to neglect my health for my career

Why do anti-goals matter?

You might be wondering what the point of having anti-goals would be over traditional goals. The whole point of anti-goals is that they define boundaries, help you to make better decisions and reduce the pressure to chase things.

How to create your own anti-goals

Now that you know what anti-goals are and why they're important, it's now time to think about how you can create them yourself so that they can fit into your own life. Below are a few pointers to help you get started:
  • Look at other people's lives - observe what you would want and what you wouldn't want for your own life
  • Think about the past - ask yourself about the habits that have made your life worse, what's made you feel more stressed, the commitments that have drained you and more
  • Imagine your future self - imagine where you'll be in ten or twenty years from now and identify the outcomes you want to avoid
  • Turn your anti-goals into rules - an anti-goal becomes more useful when you turn it into a practical rule
  • Don't be scared - anti-goals are designed to make sure you make better choices, not to make you take risks
***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post and that you found it useful when it comes to making and sticking to anti-goals. I'll see you all again soon with some brand new content!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments