How to Reduce Your Screen Time

I've done quite a few blog posts about social media detoxes, overcoming digital distractions and things you can do instead of scrolling on your phone, but what about scroll time, generally? I thought I'd give you some tips for reducing your screen time, whether you spend most of your day on your phone, tablet or laptop. So, here's how to reduce screen time, regardless of the device you're using.

Set yourself a daily limit

Like you would with children, you should set yourself a daily limit when it comes to the amount of time you spend using or looking at a screen per day. I know that this isn't realistic if you work using a screen, but perhaps you could limit your time outside of work hours or take more breaks during your 9-5. 

I like to limit the majority of my screen time to the early evening, and then put everything down about an hour or so before bed. I find this also helps me to sleep better. This works well for me, so find a routine that works for you and you'll be far more likely to stick to it.

Turn off notifications

Whether you use a phone or a tablet, you're constantly made away of everything that's going on without even being logged in. Rather than looking at your phone or tablet when something lights up, turn off your notifications and you won't be reminded about using your phone. 

My issue is, once I've checked the notification, I get distracted and I start to look at other things. Then, before I know, a lot of time has gone by and I've been looking at my screen for way too long. If I don't get reminded to look at it, however, my phone or tablet can sit there for hours without being checked. 

Trust me, turning off important notifications is a life saver. But you should still keep your notifications on for family and friends, just in case! I will always keep notifications on for my husband, the family group chat, my in-laws and my close friends.

Keep your devices of reach

If your devices are no where to be found or are out of sight and out of mind, then you'll be far less likely to use them. I always keep my iPad and phone upstairs, rather than downstairs where I'm more likely to just go and grab it. I also like to put my iPad in a drawer when it's charged up and when I'm not using it. If they're out of reach and out of mind, then I'm a lot less likely to use them. 

Create screen-free zones

You should have places in your home where screens are forbidden. Generally speaking, people will choose bedrooms as screen-free zones, and I can agree with that. Growing up, we didn't have screens readily available. 

The screens we had weren't portable. Our television was a huge grey box and the computer was a big beige box with loads of other beige boxes connected to it, so that wasn't going anywhere! That meant that everywhere but the living room and the dining room, where the computer was, were screen-free. 

So really, growing up, we knew no different. I've carried that rule into my adult life, limiting screen time in other areas of the house, including the bedroom. I know that my friends who have children have also limited their children to no screens in their bedrooms, and I'm all for that!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post and that you found it somewhat useful. Let me know in the comments below how you like to reduce your screen time and I'll see you all again soon with some brand new content!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments