Lessons I've Learnt Working in Retail


As of now, I have officially been out of the retail sector for 5 months, and I must say, leaving has given me a breath of, very much needed, fresh air. I left my job as a Customer Assistant, working for a huge supermarket chain for nearly 5 years of my life, to become a full time Copywriter and Freelance Writer following my graduation from university.

During the 5 years I was working there, I learnt a heck of a lot about both myself, and other people. From the age of 19 to nearly 24, I had already experienced my fair share of life lessons. I had lost both of my grandmothers, I completed 2 years of A Levels, went to university, met my boyfriend and graduated in that time, all of which were pretty significant events in my life.

But that's enough reminiscing for now. Let me tell you exactly what I learnt whilst working in retail. If you used to, or currently work in retail, tell me what your experiences were like in comparison to mine, along with any lessons you've learnt or are still learning. I would be so interested to see what everyone says. Right, let's get to the juicy bit shall we?

How to Stand My Ground

When I first started as a timid 19 year old teenager, I wouldn't have said boo to a goose. The thought of asking someone for ID when they wanted to buy alcohol or cigarettes filled me with fear. But the longer you do it for, the more you learn not to take crap from people, in the most professional way possible, of course. People will either try and swing the lead, attempt to barter with you (yes, really) or they could just be plain rude. 

I've had people shout in my face before just because I refused to sell them an age restricted item. The only thing you can do is stand there, let them vent and then calmly reiterate what you've previously told them, it's important to let people like that know that you won't be bullied, you definitely learn to build up a thick skin and not to take things too personally.

Managing My Frustrations

If you've worked in retail before, you'll understand exactly what I mean. There are some situations which arise, not always involving customers might I add, that make you want to scream into a pillow. But again, you learn to get over these things with experience. 

Suddenly, the small, irritating things that would happen at work wouldn't seem so annoying anymore and you just end up getting on with your day. Even if I did find some situations (and the odd person) hugely infuriating, you just learn to push it to the back of your mind, just to be civil basically. Then you go home and you can't even remember what was annoying you in the first place.

How to Help People...Even if You Don't Want to...

I know what you're thinking with this one. It does make me sound like a major s**t-head, but there are some things you have to do for people, even if they're extremely rude, arrogant and obnoxious. You can't pick and choose who you want to help when it comes to customer service, but if anything, it's helped me to realise that it makes me a better person for having done it.

Those experiences taught me that we all have to do things we don't always want to, but in the grand scheme of things, who was I really helping? Them or myself? If you've ever worked in, or still work in retail, then you'll know the answer to that one :)

How to Sacrifice Time During Christmas & Easter

This one sucks. But being (pretty much) forced to give up precious family time during Christmas and Easter is remarkably humbling. Yes, I'd rather not have given the majority of my Christmas Eves, Boxing Days and Easter Sundays to the harsh world of retail, but if anything, it helped me realise that there are some people who don't have families who they can spend those days with, at least I had one to go home to at the end of the working day.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying the retail sector forcing us to give up those special days to serve people who can't bear to go one more day without milk, but there are some things you just can't change. I'm afraid to say that maybe this is one of them. It's something I accepted as a customer assistant, but it's made me more conscious of other retail workers out there who will be giving up their upcoming Christmas and New Year, for example. So this is just a note to say...I know what it's like`and you're pretty awesome for doing it.

To Respect Other Retail Workers

This touches on the last point I made, about respecting retail workers for giving up time with their families to ensure you get a pair of shoes with 70% off in the Boxing Day sales. As well as that, it really does come down to respect in general. It's so important to treat them kindly, regardless of where they work, their job title, the uniform they wear or how much they earn, they deserve to be treated with respect. 

I know what it feels like when you aren't respected by people, and that doesn't just go for the way customers treat you either. I know what it's like to be made to feel small, and it sucks. I would never treat another person the way I have been treated by some people over the past five years (nearly) I spent working in a supermarket. It's quite possibly the ugliest side of retail.

***

This wasn't a post designed to put you off working in retail, and I'm not saying to go now and quit your job if you still do work in that sector. Instead, it's a simple look back at my own experiences working for a giant supermarket chain. In and amongst the bad experiences, I did have a few good ones, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and those lessons can only be learnt through the harsh reality that is retail.

Let me know what your experiences were, or are like working in retail. Was/is it an enjoyable experience or, like me, was/is it a bitter-sweet mixture of good and bad? I will see you again soon with a really exciting post. Enjoy your day!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST

Sunshine Blogger Award 2019


COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments