Ultimate Comfort Food at the Old Thatch Tavern


My boyfriend and I visited Stratford-upon-Avon a couple of weeks ago (something you can read all about here), and while we were there, we stumbled across an extremely old pub on the high-street. You can usually tell if a place is great when it's chocka-block full of people, and this one was! We didn't book a table, but if I was to go back there I most certainly would, so we were lucky to get a table at all basically. The only reason we managed to get one was because a couple who had booked didn't show up, so we nabbed their table essentially - what luck!

Anyway, I wanted to blog about the place because it was exceptional. From the food and the atmosphere to the decor and the service, it was right up our street. We started off ordering drinks, and to say they were packed to the brim with people, our beverages were presented to us in relatively good time, as was our food, actually! I ordered a large Merlot (of course) and Tom had a pint of Amstel - which wasn't flat surprisingly (a common theme when he orders Amstel). So from the offset, we were impressed.


The food was to die for! I went for a classic pub favourite - Hunter's Chicken. The cheese had melted evenly throughout the chicken breast, the meat was cooked to absolute perfection (it almost melted in the mouth) and the bacon was subtly smoked which produced just the right amount of flavour to complement every single bit.

The chips were also spectacular, crispy on the outside but light and fluffy on the inside. As you can tell, you received a generous portion of the delicious little potato chunks, something I was delighted with as I love them, although I couldn't actually eat them all, haha!

Instead of salad (because who has time for that?) I had seasonal veg, and I believe that to be the right choice entirely! The carrots were just the right texture and neither the broccoli nor the cauliflower were too hard or mushy. How did they manage to get every single aspect of it so right? The chefs must be so bloomin' talented - very impressed indeed!


Tom went for a roast dinner with pork, stuffing, carrots, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and thick, meaty gravy! There were a variety of meats to choose from, although the pork came with crackling, which I think he now loves (whereas I really do not!). He says that this is one of the best roasts he's ever had at a restaurant, and to be honest, it looked incredible! Tom had nothing but good things to say about it.


When we had finished, we did this thing that every person does at the end of a large meal..."go on then, we'll look at the dessert menu". We were sold at the very sight of 'Sticky Toffee Pudding', and my goodness was this absolutely the right choice?! We shared one, sprinkled with icing sugar and topped with a succulent strawberry (which I ate of course). The sponge was light and fluffy; not at all stodgy like some sponges can be. The sauce was delicious, packed with everything sweet and tasty to produce the perfect sticky toffee pudding in the land! 


***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post, if you ever find yourself in Stratford-upon-Avon, then you need to give this place a try! Let me know if you've ever been or if you have plans to go after reading my mini review. I will see you again really soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts