How I Spent My 25th Birthday "Social Distancing"


Given the current situation right now across the world, we have been advised by the Government to distance ourselves from others to decelerate, and eventually stop the spread of Coronavirus. To adhere to the advise from our PM, I decided to spend the day with family. We started off by visiting Rufford Abbey, we've been there many times before. Although the cafes, restaurants and toilets were closed, the grounds were still very much open to the public, as long as we stayed an appropriate distance away from each other.

We spent around an hour there walking through the woods and looking for bluebells (which haven't bloomed yet), but we did find a fair few daffodils, which helped to lighten the mood. I even met a Newfoundland (a dog I'd eventually like to own), and of course, we stayed a safe distance away from the dog's owners. We were never more than 2 metres away from anyone, so we felt we were being safe and responsible even when going out to stretch our legs.


Afterwards, we drove back home and my parents helped to throw me a child's themed birthday party, involving no children (ironically) or people over the age of 70, as it only involved the people I live with on a day-to-day basis while boyfie and I save for a house of our own. We had a balloon made, blew up some normal ones, put some bunting up on the wall, and laid out a buffet for everyone. We even had paper plates, napkins, paper cups and party hats!

In terms of food, we'd made a selection of sandwiches, a variety of different crisps, popcorn, sausage rolls, pasties, pizza, a flat bread, and everything else in between. The dips we had included guacamole, salsa and hummus, all topped off with coleslaw, potato salad and bread sticks thrown in for good measure.

Puddings included a range of cupcakes, cakes from Birds Bakery, jelly and ice cream, party rings and pink wafers. We even managed to find a couple of bottles of cherryade, as I remember drinking that as a kid whenever I went to a friend's birthday party. So it really was nostalgia for me and my parents, as they were usually the ones throwing the party this time 20 years ago.

We even had a game of pass the parcel and played some throwback tunes to dance to. We started off playing old 90's/00's music, then as the night went on and the wine began to flow, it switched to classic 80's music instead, so everyone knew the words and could sing and dance along no matter what!


Despite the circumstances, and although all of our plans fell through with bookings etc, I couldn't have wished for a better outcome. So if you have a birthday coming up in the next few weeks, try throwing a child's birthday party, trust me, you won't regret it :)

***

I hope you enjoyed this post, let me know how you're going to spend your birthday social distancing, and whether you have any ideas for other people. I will see you again really soon with a new blog post for you.

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts