5 Tips for Hosting Overnight Guests


Hosting overnight guests can be extremely stressful. I'm always wondering whether or not they'll sleep alright or thinking about everything I didn't buy at the supermarket that I probably should have done. "Have I bought the right type of milk?" is another question I keep asking. But there are some things you can do in preparation for your guests that will take some of the stress out of it by the time the day actually comes around. Where I might stress out about it before our guests arrive, when they're here, I enjoy every minute and that panic just melts away! Here are my 5 tips for hosting overnight guests, enjoy :)

1. Think about what their favourite food & drink is

When we've had overnight guests stay, I've always made sure that we have a fully-stocked fridge and some goodies in the cupboard. Aside from more luxurious "treat yourself" items, I also make sure we have the right things in for breakfast, like their favourite cereal, as well as ensuring I'm cooking something nice for them the night before. If you aren't sure what food and drink they like and don't like, ask! You can't go far wrong with a crate of beer and a couple of bottles of wine.

2. Make sure they have a comfortable mattress to sleep on

If you wouldn't sleep on it, why make your guests? You can get very reasonably-priced mattresses out there with stellar reviews.We got our guest mattress from Dreams. If you don't think it's quite there yet by way of comfort, then I strongly suggest investing in a good mattress topper. I know they can be expensive, but it'll be worth its weight in gold when your guests come to use it. You want them to only have a positive experience when staying with you and part of that experience is the sleeping itself.

3. Pay attention to even the smallest of details

Something you might think is important will probably make the world of difference to your overnight guests. In our guest bedroom, we scattered the bed with cushions, laid out coasters (with spares, just in case), we bought a bunch of fresh flowers and laid them out on the chest-of-drawers, we also bought a lamp that can be easily turned on and a charging point that will take numbers lighting cables.

This way, guests won't have to bend down behind the bedside tables to charge up their devices as it's all there right in their nightstand. There are still a few other things we'd like to add to the room, but we aren't too sure just yet. On top of that, on the day of their arrival, I'll freshly wash the bed sheets and provide them with fresh, clean towels.


4. Let them know what the breakfast situation will be before hitting the hay

As a guest myself, I always like to know what time I should be awake and downstairs ready for breakfast, so don't leave your overnight guests hanging. Tell them what their breakfast consists of (I like to give our guests a variety of choice) and what time it's all likely to be ready for. This gives them a bit of notice so they can set alarms and have showers etc, if they want to. It might just be one of those times where you all come down in your PJs, which is just as fun!

5. Relax & enjoy hosting

I'm guilty of not doing this when we have guests over. I'm always worrying whether the mattress will be ok or have I put enough towels out? It's a constant battle have with my self, inwardly, but I just keep forgetting that I'm sharing my home with the people I love and greatly care about and I should enjoy being able to host them and see them, knowing they're happy and comfortable in our house. So don't forget to sit back and relax when your guests arrive because, I'm sure, everything will be absolutely fine!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post, or found it useful? Let me know what you like to do for your overnight guests in the comments below and I will see you very soon with a brand new blog post!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST 



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts