A Night At The Theatre | The Rocky Horror Show

http://www.rockyhorror.com/images/downloads/RockyHorrorPictureShow_Wallpaper01_1920x1200.jpg
(this image was sourced here I am not in ownership of this product)

If you know me at all, you will understand that The Rocky Horror Show is in my top 3 list of favourite musicals. For a long time, I've wanted to see at least one of those three live in theatre, and on Saturday, 30th April, I got to do just that! This isn't really a critical review, it's just a bit of fun, and to mark the occasion, so I hope you enjoy :)

For obvious reasons, we weren't allowed to take any photos, so I'm sorry about that, but I did get a snap of the chandelier that was hanging from the ceiling and a selfie with my little sister (it's bet then nothing though isn't it?).

 (pretty rubbish photo I know, I couldn't get a central shot :( )

Let me give you a run down of the Theatre itself:

 (this image was sourced here I am not in ownership of this product)

The Theatre Royal is in my hometown of Nottingham. There's a connecting theatre next door which is the Royal Concert Hall, this is usually where more gigs happen, whereas the Theatre Royal is a lot more grand and traditional.

The Theatre Royal's curtain's rose for the first time in 1865, making it one of the oldest Victorian theatres in the country. With a history spanning approximately 140 years, and an estimated half a million visitors each year, I can see this theatre thriving for many more years to come.

Now then, let me tell you about The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

It's not a very complicated story. Basically a couple, named Janet and Brad, newly weds, go in search of Dr Scott (Paul Cattermole - From S Club 7 in case you didn't know!), to say thank you to him for introducing the two of them in first place. Obviously, it was a dark and stormy night (typically), and while they're driving along, their tyre bursts and the weather takes a turn for the worst. In an effort to find a telephone to ring for help, Janet (Diana Vickers) and Brad (Ben Freeman) find themselves knocking on the door of a very large, gothic style mansion. A balding man with a hunch back and a crazy maid open the door and allows them in to use their telephone. But, in the words of the narrator "it will be a night they will remember forever".

The narrator makes an appearance pretty much after each scene, much like in the film. Which I like, as it breaks the fourth wall. It was very entertaining. Unfortunately, the show isn't on anymore. But keep an eye out, because it may come around again quicker than you'd think.

Oh, and it's a musical by the way, just in case you weren't aware ;)

If you haven't seen the film, you should, because it's the work of pure genius!

I hope you enjoyed this little mid-week post, let me know what musicals you'd love to see in theatre. I'll see you Sunday with a brand new blog post!
_____________________________________________

WHERE TO  FIND ME

PREVIOUS BLOG POST: 'Making Low Fat Brownies'

Comments

Popular Posts