5 Ways to Reduce Stress & Improve Productivity | University Edition


If you're at university, or have ever been to university, you'll know that this time of year is an especially busy time, especially if you're in your final year. It's super hectic, it was for me anyway, so I thought that this would be a nice post to publish during the peak revising/writing/studying period. Even if you aren't at uni and are doing your A Levels or GCSEs etc, you may find these helpful. I lived by these little steps whilst I was doing my degree and I really did notice a difference in my state of mind! Hopefully it will be he same for you! So lets get into it.

Don't Get Too Distracted

I am absolutely terrible when it comes to getting distracted. I have to work in total silence, or if it's a bit noisy, I pop my headphones in and listen to the sound of the waves or whale noises, which sounds strange, but it's so relaxing.

But eliminating distractions when you're trying to work can really help boost productivity. When I was at uni, I found I could go hours working and not really notice what time it was by the time I'd finished. Sometimes I'd even forget to eat! But it really is effective, especially if you have trouble getting some serious work done at home, in your uni flat or shared house etc. But remember to eat, that is really important! It's also imperative that you stay hydrated throughout the day as well!

Complete Existing Tasks Before Starting Any New Ones

Keeping a to-do list is essential when it comes to ticking off important things you need to do. Especially if you have a fair few deadlines, it's essential that you keep track of what you're handing in when, how and by what time. It's also good when arranging group meetings for presentations you have to do for example.

If you find you have way too much to do in not a lot of time, do things in priority order. If you have a deadline on Friday, finish that before starting an assignment that's due in two weeks on Friday. Start as you mean to go on. Don't be left with loads of unfinished tasks, it may freak you out slightly! Be organised, plan when you'll do work and have a schedule. It helps, trust me!


Break Up Your Day

This comes back to you making a schedule. I know this sounds very boring and laborious, but stick with it. It's a few months of your life, which isn't long really, where you just put everything else down on your list of priorities and put work up there instead.

Your schedule doesn't have to be a printed out, laminated table where everything you ever do is timetabled down to a 'T'. But just have a flexible schedule. Keeping it flexible gives you some freedom, so you don't feel like so much of a prisoner, but it also means you have to be disciplined. You can't say that you'll spend Monday morning working, take a break at 1pm, get back to working and then break in the evening, then back to working again.

This is a little unrealistic, you're never going to stick to that. Make uni work a priority, but it can't just be you working 24/7. You need some time for yourself, your friends and your family. They'll understand that you have a lot of important work to do, but they'll want to see you at some point, just as much as you'll want to see them too!

Also take some time out for exercise. I know this doesn't sound so important, but you need to stretch your legs after spending ages studying. It also helps to distress your mind. I find swimming does this for me. Nothing else really works aside from running. Whenever I feel particularly down about things, I take it out on my legs! But it's also a chance to get out into the fresh air and have a bit of a break.

Break Things Up A Bit

It's always nice to change the scene once in a while. If you're used to working in the library everyday, maybe take your work outside and do some reading, or even up and move to a different library if you can! Visit one you've never been to before, or work at home if that's not what you usually do. It can help things feel a lot less repetitive, it may even give you something to look forward to. Sometimes I did my uni work in a quirky coffee shop while listening to something soothing. Give it a go, it can make a difference I promise.

Take Time For You

I have already touched upon this, but you really need to take some time out for yourself. Even if, at the end of a long day, you jump in the bath and pamper yourself. Or at the end of the day binge watch a series on Netflix. You need a healthy balance of work and general life. This will help keep you sane, take it from me!

***

I hope you enjoyed this post and that you found it useful somewhat! Let me know what you do to distress and I'll see you next time, good luck guys.

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

  1. Greetings from Carolina! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to check out your blog on my
    iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you present
    here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.
    I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not
    even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! I could have sworn I've visited this site before but after browsing through a few of the
    posts I realized it's new to me. Nonetheless, I'm definitely happy I came across
    it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back
    regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. There are so many ways to relieve stress. Yoga, meditation, supplements, herbal stress relief oil massage are some of the ways to reduce stress. Try any of this to get rid of stress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment