For The Love Of Lip Balms


It's that time of year again, where the cold chaps your lips and dries out your skin. If you'd like a separate post on skincare during the Winter months, let me know, but for now, I'm focusing on lip care! I've not designated a post purely to lip balms before, so I thought I'd cover some more ground and publish it now :) I've always been a fan of medicated lip balms, especially. It's the only thing that will help ease the irritating feeling of tight, dry and sore lips.

Often, it's easy to overlook our lips during our night time skincare routines. The focus has always been on body moisturisers, facial toners and foot treatments. But the lips deserve to get more attention. Not only for us ladies, but for men as well. This weather doesn't discriminate, so it's important we're all looking after ourselves, more so during the cold season.

Carmex Classic Lip Balm (Medicated)



I bought this in America, Nashville the last time I went. I needed a new lip balm and my holy grail one (the next on this list) had sadly been left at home, (like the forgetful prune I am). The aeroplane had dried my lips out horrendously and I couldn't wait to apply something moisturising to them. They were sore too, which didn't help when it came to eating and drinking. So we popped into the local Walmart and I found this.

I've used Carmex lip balms before, but this one was different to those that I've used in the past. The thing that made me pick this one up over the others was that it said it was 'medicating', something that my go-to lip balm did so well (which I'd stupidly left in England...fat lot of good to me there, haha). So I bought it on the assumption that it would have the same effect as my trusty Blistex balm and I wasn't left disappointed.

It wasn't as effective as the Blistex 'MedPlus', but it certainly did the job after a couple of applications. It smelt slightly different and you got a bit more in this pot in comparison, I would buy it again if I couldn't get my hands on my usual balm. It's not greasy, the staying power on the lips is amazing, so you don't have to keep reapplying every ten minutes, it does the job (but allow for extra coats, particularly on dry and sore lips). It's just an all round great product for the price, the volume and it's performance, coming in at 98 cents, (which is so cheap considering you'd pay £2.50 odd in the UK), it's incredibly good value for money!

Blistex MedPlus 



This balm is just amazing. One of the best medicated lip balms I have ever used. I love it and I don't think that will ever change. If you want your lips looking and feeling better over night, then this is the one to use. It's intense though, be warned. It will give you a slight burning sensation, but this is because it smells like Vics vapour rub. Menthol products often give that feeling, hence why Vics can feel cold when applied to your skin.

If I want soft, smooth lips the next day, I'll apply this generously before I go to bed and I'll wake up with lips that feel good as new. If you have particularly dry lips, verging on the point of flaking away, apply this at night, and by the morning, you'll be able to wipe the dead skin off with the lip balm. I recommend applying it to the fresh layer just to ensure it doesn't dry up again afterwards.

If you've forgotten to apply this at night, just apply it before doing your makeup in the morning, leave it on throughout the whole process and just apply your lipstick over the top. The time it will take you to do your makeup means the lip balm isn't as wet and won't smear or smudge any lip colour you put on afterwards.

It isn't greasy, it isn't drying on the skin, I have never had a reaction to it, and don't know anyone who has (not even online having read the reviews), its fairly cheap, it works fast, it smells pleasant enough. There isn't a bad thing I have to say about this product. It's an all round great lip balm and I will continue to keep repurchasing it for as long as they're making it! 

Nivea Lip Butter (Raspberry)



This has to be the nicest smelling lip balm of the bunch. I wouldn't necessarily apply this to badly damaged lips as I don't think it has the power to fix that, unlike the previous two balms mentioned. Instead, this is a delicious way of maintaining the soft lips you've already acquired, and it's not too expensive either. It's very moisturising, it's durable on the lips, so you can eat and have something to drink without it transferring too soon. It's not greasy, chalky or too thick. It's just right. Don't worry, it won't colour your lips bright pink ;) 

PAWPAW Multi-Purpose Soothing Balm



I'm going to be honest with you here, I didn't really like the thought of using this on my lips. 3-in-1 products don't usually do anything for me, I find it a bit gimmicky in all honesty and when I got this in my Birchbox, it didn't excite me at all. But I had heard good things about it online, so I thought I'd bite the bullet and give it a try.

I was quite surprised actually. Like the previous balm, I wouldn't use it on badly damaged lips, but just maybe as a night treatment if I wanted to go for matte lips the next day, or just to apply at the beginning of the day. It's small enough to keep in your handbag or makeup bag, it's great for travel, it moisturises well, it softens the lips and preps them for a full day of lipstick wearing and coffee drinking. So overall it's a lovely product and I wish I'd have tried it out sooner. I don't think I'll be underestimating a 3-in-1 product again!

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (Aloe Vera)



This seems to be a lip balm that the world and his wife have used for quite some time. You can't go wrong with Vaseline, especially as a heavy duty lip balm. It's cheap, something which you can chuck in a coat pocket, leave in the car, a handbag or a makeup bag, and it doesn't just come in handy for dry and chapped lips. I've used it when I've had bad colds and my nose has started getting sore and my skin has become flaky. I've applied this to end of my red nose before bed and I wake up with, what feels like, a whole new nose. Magic! Give this a go if you (somehow) haven't tried it already. It's an excellent product and great value for money. 

Nivea Original Care



This one is different in the sense that you don't stick your finger in it and then rub it all over your dry lips. This one is perfect for clean and easy application, it doesn't taste of much, it moisturises well, heals sore patches and it's very cheap and so easy to find. It's the perfect size for easy transportation too. You can get loads of different variants of the same product, some that are certain scents, colours, flavours, it's all down to you! There's something in this Nivea range for everyone if you don't liked potted balms.

***

I hope you enjoyed this post and that it gave you some useful information for picking out the right lip balm for you! Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see and I will be back soon with another post!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts