Our Garden Party for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee


In case you haven't noticed, over the last few days or so, the UK has been celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, including our household! We invited both sets of parents and my sister round for some food and drinks to acknowledge the occasion. 

Our table tops were adorned with Union Jacks and red, white and blue. We even put bunting up in the window and across the garden, some Union Jack bunting on one side and, on the other side, some plain red, white and blue bunting.

We all had a wonderful time chatting and listening to music as well as enjoying a few jugs of Pimms and sparkling elder flower drinks. After the party and once I had cleaned up and got everything back in order, we went for a walk around our village to see what people had done to mark the event and we weren't disappointed, so I thought I'd include some pictures of that as well for you to enjoy :)

Our garden party

As you can see, we had a pretty wide spread of different foods that can be enjoyed by everyone, hopefully! I even managed to rustle up a homemade coronation chicken for good measure because it seemed pretty apt :) 

Along with the coronation chicken, we also had homemade sausage rolls (one made with Cumberland sausages and another batch made with chorizo), potato salad, hummus, bread sticks, olives, two different crisp flavours, a quiche Lorraine, salad, cous cous (made by my mum), chorizo parcels and even some mini scotch eggs.

I even put on a mini afternoon tea, with three different types of finger sandwiches (tuna, cheese and ham and cucumber), some scones and mini cakes. That was pudding really, together with a slice of my homemade Victoria sponge cake which I decorated with fruit to mark out the Union Jack (well, that was the aim anyway, haha).

Festivities around the village

We live a small village in the heart of Derbyshire and we were delighted to see small businesses and homeowners alike marking the occasion with bunting and decorations. One cafe even had a three-tier cake dedicated to the Jubilee, called (aptly) a Jubilee Rainbow Cake. I took a picture of it through the window because it looked so good! 

Our community knitted hundreds of little pom poms and put them on sticks. They were then sunk into the ground and arranged to form the Union Jack on a small garden that leads up to our village. There was also red, white and blue bunting hanging around the creation, so I just had to take a picture of it so I could show you. I'll also have some of those pictures printed and put in my album so they can be remembered for many years to come.


***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know in the comments below whether you had a party for the Queen's Jubilee or attended one that was put on my someone else! Did you go to a street party? I'd love to know :) I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts