8 Things You're (Likely) Forgetting to Spring Clean

Spring is the start of new beginnings and fresh starts and I believe that idea should spread to the home, especially at the start of a new, sunnier season. We all go around our homes and give them a good clean on a regular basis, but I think that, on the run up to spring, there are certain things you need to be doing when it comes to deep cleaning your house. 

But don't panic, because I'm not saying that you should spend an entire weekend running yourself ragged cleaning the house from top to bottom on top of everything else you have to juggle in every day life. It's just not feasible to give the whole house a once over when so much is going on around you. 

So in my mind, spring cleaning involves cleaning things that don't usually make it onto your regular list. Here's everything I like to do in spring to give my house a new lease of life, ready to flush out the winter and see in the warmer, prettier weather! 

1. Your lamp shades, light fittings & curtain rails

I ALWAYS forget about the light fittings. I hate to think how much dust has piled its way onto our light fitting in the living room, for example. Every spring, I like to get up on a step ladder and given them a dust off and a wipe down with a damp cloth. The same goes for our curtain rails. 

Although they're actually chrome and so require a dust off and a polish to keep them shiny and also to keep my curtains free from dust as well. We all forget to also clean the lightbulbs. Get a duster to them and lift off the everyday debris that will naturally fall on them. Not only are you helping to elongate the lifespan of your lightbulb, but you might also find that the light you get is brighter!

2. Surfaces under your furniture

I'm a terror for not hoovering under our sofa, but I will hoover and mop under the coffee tables and side tables. Under the sofa and under the TV stand have probably only been cleaned twice since we moved in. Although, I have given it a dust, I don't feel like anything is clean-clean until I've anti-bacced it as well, haha. 

This is something I'll do during the spring when I have a bit more time and more daylight to be able to give things a deep clean after work. Something I like to use is the Flash Speed Mop, but with the dust pads to get all of that out from under the sofa, but I don't give it a good mop under there every week, like I do the rest of the floor.

3. The microwave

We don't use ours very often, but it's still something that, over time, can become dirty with food debris. It only takes your soup to bubble over and you've got food on the roof of your microwave and on the plate. I like to spray it to lift off the grime and then wipe it away gently with a sponge. To make it smell nicer, I mix some lemon juice in a bowl of water and put on full power in the microwave for about 30 seconds-a minute and it smells fresh as a daisy.

4. Bookshelves

We all forget about the bookshelves we have. We have a few in our house and it's something I will always neglect to wipe down. I might do the edges of it if I'm feeling lazy, but I don't take everything off, wipe it down and put it all back on again. I do this occasionally and that falls into my spring cleaning routine. I also like to dust off the spines of the books I have to restore them back their bold colours.

5. The waste bin

It might sound daft to clean your waste bin, but trust me, it's something you want to do. I like to take off the lid and anti-bac it. I'll then add some disinfectant to the bottom of the bin itself with some warm water and I'll leave it in there for a little bit. After it's been left to soak, I'll bring it outside and swill it around a bit and then get a sponge to wipe the sides. 

I won't use the sponge for anything else and I have a special pair of rubber gloves I use that are designated for bin cleaning. I'll then leave it all to air-dry and I might add a few drops of disinfectant afterwards to keep it smelling fresh. 

It is a bit of a faff, but it's better than having a constant bin smell cutting through your kitchen. Luckily, we have a whole separate cupboard for our bins, so they're not on show, but you know when it's time to give the bin a clean, put it that way, haha.

6. Your windows

We've been getting around to cleaning our windows for the past year or so, but it's just something that we keep saying we'll get around to. The only problem is, we never do! I've made it my mission to clean the windows this spring, before the sun comes out. I find the natural light shines beautifully through newly-cleaned and polished windows, but it also adds to curb-appeal as well - who doesn't want a house that looks well-looked after from the outside?

7. Throws & blankets

I have throws and blankets that are always being used but have never actually been washed. Now that the colder weather is starting to leave us, it's the perfect time to chuck them in the wash and give them a well over-due clean. They won't be dirty or anything, just a bit dusty from consistent use, essentially. At least if you clean them now, you can put them away and bring them out next winter and they'll be ready to use straight away :)

8. TV remotes & buttons

TV remotes are something that we all use, sometimes on a daily basis, so it makes complete sense to keep them wiped down and anti-bacced. The buttons, especially, are dust collectors, so make sure you give those a really good going over with an anti-bac wipe. It's something we all forget to clean, but need to regularly, not just once a year during a spring clean.

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know in the comments below what you like to spring clean every year and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POSTS



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts