A Not-So-Typical Halloween Night

Now, if you clicked on this post thinking it would be full of frights, scares and night time horrors, I'm going to have to tell you that that isn't the case, while other 20 year olds spent the night partying and dressing up as zombie-cheerleaders and Marvel super heroes, I was at home carving this pumpkin and handing out sweets to the children that knocked on our door.
A typical Halloween night in my household. But that wasn't the only thing I did today :)
As you may (or may not) know, I'm currently living away from home to attend my chosen university, and this weekend, I decided to come home for a little bit. I caught the train home at around ten to ten and was back in my home town by twenty past 10. I was sat in my living room within an hour, which is insane because a lot of people I know at uni have to travel a lot longer than that to get home. So with that working to my advantage, I visited my family.
We went out for lunch at around 2pm on Saturday, we travelled into town and had a lovely meal at a place called 'Rubs', I was going to do a review on the place, but I didn't have enough photos and didn't have a notebook to write thoughts down, so instead, I'm putting it in this post :)

Firstly, we ordered drinks, to start with, I ordered a diet Coke, I ordered a cocktail later which I will show you in a little while :) Then we decided to get a starter of mild Nachos which we shared as a family, it was very tasty, with tortilla chips smothered in sour cream, guacamole, pulled pork, Monterey Jack (I have no idea what that is either xD), salsa and cheese. It tasted amazing, but I could only eat a couple of mouthfuls as it was getting way too spicy for my liking even though it said 'mild', but I enjoyed it nonetheless.


We obviously moved onto mains, I ordered a 'BBQ Chicken Breast' with chips and BBQ roasted veg, my mum had the same as me but with mash instead of chips. My sister had what they called a 'Rub Burger', I have no idea what was in it, but I know she loved it, that also came with chips and I'm not too sure what my dad ordered but it looked delicious :)


Now, onto the cocktail, there is actually a slight story behind why I chose it, so here it is; I LOVE LOVE LOVE the song called 'Escape' by Rupert Holmes, it's better known as the 'Pina Colada Song'. I've always wanted to try one, but until today, I hadn't found any establishment which served them, so you can imagine my excitement when I saw it on their cocktail menu. So I ordered it, and when it came I couldn't wait to try it. My verdict? It was heavenly, it tasted a lot like a passion fruit frozen yogurt, with hints of coconut and pineapple, I also reckon it had vodka in it, it didn't actually say what went in it, and to be honest, I didn't really care, I wanted it to be a surprise, which turned out to be a pleasant one :)


'Rubs' was really good, a lot like 'Red's' and other smokehouse restaurants, the kind where you come out smelling like a barbeque, only, unlike places like 'Red's', 'Rubs' had more variety when it came to meat, you could have pork beef or chicken, instead of the normal pulled pork and brisket that's offered in other smokehouse restaurants. I also believe you get slightly more for your money at 'Rubs', as well as getting one side, you also get to choose another, and that's with a standard main course, my meal came in at just £9.95. The Pina Colada was £6.95, not bad for a decent sized cocktail I'd say, I'm not sure how much the diet Coke was, but it wasn't more than £3. With a drink, it would come in at around £12 a head which is pretty reasonable to be honest. I would go there again, the decor is really quirky, I'm sorry I didn't take more photos of the interior, but the place was pretty busy and I didn't want people to think I was photographing them. If you have a 'Rubs' in your town, I'd give it a try, but its most certainly NOT suitable for vegetarians (obviously xD).

After 'Rubs' we ventured down to Debenhams to check out some beauty and perfume counters, well, mum and I did, my dad, sister and brother when to look at the Christmas section. Me and mum walked over to the Lancôme counter, I bought a perfume set and my Mum bought a mascara (which I'm really jealous of xD). Because we bought two items, we got a free gift which came with a makeup brush, a makeup bag, a travel mascara, serum, lip gloss and hydrating face cream. Not bad really. But I won't put those photos on here, I plan on doing a separate post on Wednesday showing you what we got and what came in the gift set in case you'd want to check out the offer yourself :)

We then simply went home, carved a pumpkin and answered the door to trick-or-treat-ers (like I said in the intro). We then sat and watched Halloween films all night! Its nice that I have Saturdays off from work now, it means I can just relax and spend time with my family which I cherish as I don't see them as often anymore. But on the plus side, you guys have a wonderful new post to look forward to, going live on Wednesday at 2PM, so I hope you enjoy that :) I'll see you then, oh, and I hope you all had a very happy Halloween ;)
  _____________________________________

WHERE TO FIND ME




Comments

Popular Posts