A Cold Day Out | Rufford Abbey & Watching 'The Revenant'


Yesterday, I went back home to visit my family, and instead of spending the day shopping and eating great food, we went for a walk in the countryside, and visited a beautiful place called 'Rufford Abbey'. It really is a spectacular place to go, whether you want to explore the ruins of the abbey, take a stroll around the enormous lake, or admire the sculptures in the gardens, there really is something there for everyone. Obviously, in the middle of January it is extremely cold, so we had to whack on the walking boots and chuck on a few layers, but it was totally worth it :)

My family and I have been coming here for some years now, and not a lot has changed since we began going there back when I was a baby (in 1995). It brings back so many memories from my childhood, everything from the exhibit on the ground floor of the abbey ruins to cars driving fast through a ford that runs down the back of the abbey. We would stand on the bridge as kids and watch the cars make great waves and splashes through the immense amount of water, I have one (not very good) action shot of a car going through the water which I will put towards the end so you can get an idea as to what I'm talking about.


This will be a pretty photo heavy post, I hope you don't mind, but I took my beloved Canon 1200D and snapped some shots to capture the day. I hope you enjoy looking through them :)


Like I said, it wasn't a very good action shot, but it took me a while to get one so all in all, it isn't that bad ;)

Just a quick note, if you plan on eating at Rufford, don't go to the café in the courtyard, I can't remember the name of it, but its one of the first ones you come to on your way in. We really weren't impressed, so much so, we vowed that we wouldn't eat there in future. We got there at around 1pm, and they had already run out of Jacket Potatoes, that and the staff that were serving the food weren't particularly friendly either, so goodness knows how they got a job there, the only friendly lady working there was on the till. I settled on a sausage roll, we got a portion of chips, my dad had a beef and pickle sandwich while my mum and sister had a Cornish pasty. Apparently the beef sandwich was ok, nothing special, barley satisfactory, the Cornish pasties look big, but don't be fooled as its mostly pastry, according to my mum and sister, they were pretty bland, and not as full as your traditional Cornish pasty, a bit of a rip off really, the lattes my parents had weren't fantastic, not only were they made by a woman who looked as though she didn't want to be there, she also slopped some coffee down the side of the mug, and they were barley warm by the time they got to the table. A third of the mug was filled with froth, basically, my parents have had a better coffee at Sainsburys café for a fraction of the price they were charging in Rufford. Now, onto my sausage roll, like the pasties, it was mainly pastry, with a small amount of sausage. I ripped the top off and ate the sausage with tomato sauce, that too was barely full. I can get a better quality sausage roll for 60p in Greggs. So I most definitely will not be eating there again, and I recommend you don't even set foot in there if you don't want to be disappointed, unless you want an ice cream or some bottled drink, where nothing can go wrong but the price.

Now, moving away from the negative points, aside from the food, Rufford is truly magnificent. If you're ever in the Nottinghamshire area, I seriously recommend you pay it a little visit.

We also went to see 'The Revenant' that night. Now, if you're a tad squeamish or hate anything gory, don't see this film, because it is exactly that, gory. From gutting a dead horse to getting half your hand chopped off with an axe, it really is one of the goriest films I have seen to date, and I've seen the film '300' xD. That aside, the whole movie thrives on suspense, the audience in the cinema were constantly on the edge of their seats, its one of those films where the whole audience reacts as a whole, all with the same gasps at exactly the same time for exactly the same reasons. Its so gripping you won't even want to dig into your popcorn or look down to have a drink, if you're in two minds about whether to see it or not I say you should go and watch it. Leo (as per normal) is spectacular, and if his role in this film doesn't get him an Oscar, I don't know what will. It really is action packed from the very start, and based loosely on a true story, it has everything a 21st Century movie audience could ask for, but again, don't go if you're squeamish, trust me! But still, its well worth a watch :)


I hope you enjoyed this blog post, I will see you on Wednesday with a brand new blog post for you all!
________________________________________________________

WHERE TO FIND ME


PREVIOUS BLOG POST: 'What's In My Makeup Bag?'



Comments

Popular Posts