Having a Smear Test: My Experience & Tips to Help You Through it


Having a smear test, especially if it's your first one, is a very daunting prospect. The idea of such an invasive procedure done by a total stranger made me quite anxious and uncomfortable and those feelings have put many women off having a smear test, and I can understand why. 

Where it's a personal decision and not at all compulsory, the NHS highly recommend it for women from the age of 24 (6 months before your 25th birthday) to 64. I made the decision to have mine done and so I thought I'd share with you what a smear test is, why it's done, my experience on the day and some tips to help you through yours.

Disclaimer

Before we begin, I am not a healthcare professional. This blog post has been written based purely on research I have carried out together with my personal experience and what I was told by my own practitioner following the procedure. 

If you have any questions or wish to learn more, please contact your GP or healthcare professional who can advise you further. Please refer to all research links included in this article, particularly ones direct from the NHS about the topic, if you need clarification about anything.

What is a smear test?

Also known as 'cervical screening', a smear test is designed to check the overall health of your cervix (which is the opening to your womb). The common misconception here is that it's a test for cancer...but it isn't. A smear test is not a cancer test, instead it helps to prevent it. It is designed to check for specific types of HPV (human papillomavirus) that have the potential to change the cells of your cervix - this would be described as 'high risk' HPV. If 'high risk' HPV has been detected then you will be treated accordingly before the cells turn cancerous.

You will receive your results (usually) within a couple of weeks. If risky HPV of any kind has not been found, then no further tests will be carried out and you'll be invited back for your next screening when the time comes. You could also be found to have 'low risk' HPV, often you'll simply have to have another test in a year's time. Usually, the body will eradicate 'low risk' HPV on its own, much like it would a cold - your next test will see if your immune system has got rid of the 'low risk' HPV.

Not everyone will have the same results, so you must read your results letter carefully to see what you need to do next, if anything. If you have any further questions about your results, contact your doctor or nurse who will be able to explain exactly what your results mean. Many women find it reassuring to have their results talked through by their GP, so don't hesitate to get professional, first hand help if you're concerned or just have questions you'd like answers to for your general peace of mind.

When it's time for you to have your smear test, you will receive a letter through the post (often 6 months before your 25th birthday). You'll be invited to have a smear test up until the age of 64. It's not compulsory, you will always have the choice when it comes to having a smear test, but it's advised by the NHS that you have one when scheduled to do so.

Please refer to the following links for more info

I based the above information on these links, so if you still aren't sure, please look at these:

My personal experience

My experience was actually very positive. I was seen on time, so no waiting around feeling anxious before the procedure, and I was made to feel comfortable. The nurse could see I was nervous but she made me feel so at ease, something which definitely helps the overall process.

The nurse then explained to me what the smear test is, why it's done and what it's testing for. She then showed me what she would be using to carry out the test and what each piece of equipment was for. It's not like the old days where everything is cold and metal - what a lovely thought. It's all plastic and disposable so you don't have to worry about a thing when it comes to cleanliness etc (not that I was, but just in case some of you were).

When she was done explaining it all, she asked if I had any questions and then it was time to get the job done. She gave me a disposable paper sheet (to put over my lower half) and asked me to take the lower half of my clothes off (all done behind a curtain) and to lie on the couch face up. I then bent my legs with my feet together but knees apart and waited for further instructions. 

She then told me what she was going to do next, which was insert the speculum (a smooth tool in the shape of a tube). She then opened the speculum and used a small, soft, plastic brush to collect cervical cells. The whole process took about 30 seconds, from having my feet up on the couch to the collection of samples and I didn't feel a thing. It wasn't at all uncomfortable or painful and it was over in a flash! Before I knew it, I was told I could put my clothes back on.

She then asked if I was ok and if I had any further questions. Some women have reported to have had some bleeding or spotting after their smear test, this is entirely dependent on you and it won't happen to everyone (I didn't experience this after mine). I did, however, get some dull tummy pains, almost like the ones experienced during an average menstrual cycle. But these lasted for a couple of hours and then I was back to my old self again!

The whole appointment took around 15 minutes, if that...a small amount of time out of your day to give you and your loved ones peace of mind that you're in good health. I will go to my next one, when the time comes, and I will continue to go to my appointments as a personal choice. Don't put yours off and make an appointment when you're able to. 

If you'd like more information about what the smear test appointment involves, visit this link:


Tips to help you through your smear test

If you're feeling anxious about having your smear test, here are a few things you can do to make you feel more at ease, together with some more practical tips as well! These will be especially useful if it's your first one and still aren't sure what to expect.

1. Time it with your menstrual cycle
You don't want your test to coincide with your TOM, so when you make an appointment make sure it's not close to your due date, if you know what I mean!

2. Wear comfortable, stretchy clothes (and preferably a skirt or a dress)
Everyone feels better in comfy clothes, no matter what we're doing, so wear something that you feel relaxed in. The nurse may also take your blood pressure while you're there, so make sure you're wearing a top with short sleeves or ones that can be rolled up easily, just in case. A skirt or a dress is also a good idea as it helps to protect your dignity and all you'll have to do is whip off your undies!

3. Take some painkillers beforehand (if you can)
If you're worried about pain afterwards then take some painkillers before the procedure. Not everyone will experience pain following a smear test, but if it's your first one and you're anxious about tummy aches afterwards, then take some painkillers before your appointment.

4. Take someone with you
You're allowed to have a chaperone with you if you feel comfortable with that. But then it can be just as reassuring to have someone waiting for you when the procedure is done, especially if it's your first time. My mum came with me to mine, but stayed in the waiting room until it was over.

5. Mentally prep yourself
The one thing I wasn't comfortable with was taking my clothes off in front of a complete stranger. The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me, but then I thought, 'she's also a woman and has conducted many smear tests...it's nothing she hasn't seen or experienced before'. This really helped to make me feel more comfortable and actually put my mind at rest.

6. Come up with some questions before your appointment
You might have thought about a question you could have asked by the time you get home, so compile a list of questions you'd like to ask prior to your appointment so you can get first hand help and advice for your own peace of mind.

7. If you need it, ask for more time
The nurse isn't making an effort to get your test done and to shove you out of the room ASAP. If you need more time to prepare or recover, ask them! They'll give you all the time you need to make you feel as relaxed and as comfortable as possible.

Here are some more tips from various sources:


If you're in pain or feel uncomfortable, tell the nurse to stop or ask to be re-positioned. If you ask, you might even be able to insert the speculum yourself if you feel like this would make it less painful for you.

***

Again, I am not a healthcare professional and instead have based all information in this blog post on research carried out using the aforementioned links. Please see your GP or nurse for more information or if there's something you aren't sure about.

I will see you again very soon with a brand new blog post for you all!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I had a similar thing to a smear test (I had irregular bleeding and they wanted to check my cervix lol) and it was genuinely so painful. I'm absolutely dreading the smear. I genuinely thought I was going to rip, like it was the kind of pain when i couldnt talk and tears came to my eyes haha - I wish mine was as easy as yours!! X

    www.lilyolivia.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, I really hope your smear test doesn't mimic that! I'd perhaps mention to the nurse that you had that procedure done and that you found it to be quite unpleasant. The nurse I saw could see I was nervous so she may well sense it from you (which is to be expected, particularly if you found it painful to have a similar procedure).

      Once they learn of your nervousness or apprehension, they really put copious amounts of effort into making you feel comfortable, no matter how long it takes for you to feel ready, so don't feel pressured at all!

      You can also ask for more time or even see if you can insert the speculum yourself, that often makes women feel more at ease. Your nurse will also be happy to answer any and all questions you have, even down to pain relief afterwards and getting some rest.

      I wish you all the best when your time comes around!

      Thank you for your comment,

      Lorna x

      Delete
  2. Although I'm nowhere near the age yet, this was really reassuring for when my turn comes along! It's so important to speak about experiences, especially positive ones, because I'm sure a lot of women feel scared which puts them off. Great post x

    - charlotte / https://charlottesspace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thanks for such a lovely, positive comment.

      You're so right! It's really important to talk out about these things. I had no idea what to expect from my smear test, I had a rough idea but no details whatsoever (which I think added to my fears of having it done). But once I'd been through the experience I thought I'd talk about it here to give others an idea of what happens, what to expect and ways to make it easier.

      I'm so glad that you found this useful as that was the aim - to reassure others who are yet to have one! I hope yours goes smoothly when the time comes :)

      Thanks again,

      Lorna

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts