4 Things I've Learnt Since Moving Out

Moving out is an incredibly overwhelming concept for anyone, no matter how old you are. But it's somewhat a rite of passage for the majority of young people across the world and regardless of how we feel about it, we have to take the plunge eventually. I was lucky in the sense that I didn't move out and into a new house on my own - I had my OH with me through it all which made everything so much easier and less strange.

So in the last few months of living away from the family home, I have learnt a fair bit by way of just life in general. Don;t get me wrong, I was fully aware of how to deal with bills, rent etc as I lived away from home as a student, so I already had that experience behind me, as did my partner. 

But in terms of other things like having your finances in order and discovering that, actually, you do grow out of the student diet and eating habits, I feel like I've had a few realisations in the time we've been here and I thought I'd share some of those things with you today. So without further ado, let's get into it, shall we?

To plan and manage finances in more detail

I've always been very careful when it comes to money and how my finances are managed, but when you go from two days a week working in the local supermarket as a student, to a full time job with a fair few career prospects, then naturally, you have more dosh to play with. Therefore, it's even more important that it's managed and regulated correctly. 

This is more so we can buy a house when things go back to some normality, but it also means that we'll be able to buy a new kitchen or a new bathroom further down the line as well, but still go on a couple of holidays, for example.

It also helps to keep finances in check in order to ensure that bills etc are paid on time. We also have car insurance, home insurance, internet and water suppliers to pay as well, so we make sure that all of those things are covered before moving money around for other means. This is something you'll learn to do in time, especially if you've just moved in somewhere.

If you'd like a separate blog post about exactly how I manage my finances, then please do let me know! I'd be happy to provide you with some hints and tips to help you budget more or to help put a plan in place if this is something you find you struggle with.

Cooking is actually quite fun

If you ready my blog post about meal planning over the course of a week, then you'll understand how fun it can be to have control over, and also cook, your own dishes. I spend a lot of time scrolling through BBC Good Food for some hearty, healthy meal ideas, and I also LOVE Nadiya Hussain's Time to Eat recipes. In fact, this Sunday we have a delicious mushroom casserole planned and I'm actually really looking forward to it! 

Being responsible for myself is actually easier than I anticipated

I always thought, before I moved out, that looking after myself when I finally took the plunge would be quite a difficult task. When I say 'looking after myself' I literally mean things like getting enough sleep, eating healthily, being productive, keeping the house clean and tidy so I have somewhere relaxing to enjoy the evening. Luckily, I also have my SO by my side who will always make sure that I'm ok and vice versa, of course! 

That I'm actually a bit of a clean freak

I've always been quite a clean and tidy person generally, even down to organising my book bag when I started school at the age of four. But I never thought that I'd be as much of a clean freak as I am right now. That may change later down the line, but in all honesty, I hope it doesn't because I enjoy chilling out of an evening knowing that the entire house is clean, tidy and all ready to begin another day!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post, do let me know what you learnt when you moved out of the family home! I'd be interested to hear what you guys have to say :) anyway, I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts