5 Things I do to Refocus


It can be really hard to stay focused during these trying times, and so I often find myself lapsing into a mood that leaves me unmotivated, lethargic and generally, well, feeling rubbish. That's only to be expected right now, as all of our thoughts and feelings can be swayed by anything going on in our lives, even without a pandemic going on. 

But whenever I found myself falling into that mood, I do a few things to try and refocus my attention, helping to keep me, mentally, on the straight and narrow. I thought that many of us would be felling the same, and as such, I opted to share the things I do to get back on track, with you guys. So, without further ado, here are five things I do to refocus my mind!

Write down a list of priorities

I think about all the tasks I have to do, either at work or in my personal life, and I prioritise the things that are most important at the time. I don't, however, mix my work tasks with my everyday tasks - I have two separate lists in order to keep track more accurately. This is especially useful when jobs are time-sensitive or particularly important, like sending emails, getting letters in the post, remembering people's birthday's etc. 

So if there are loads of things you have to do, then pick the most important tasks and bump them up the list! You'll find that ticking things off your to-do list will be especially satisfying. If you've never written a to-do list before, then I recently wrote a blog post about how to do that effectively - read that here if you like :) 

Get rid of distractions

I find that I'm very easily distracted, and when that happens, I'm not as productive - annoyingly. So the most effective solution for me is to simply banish distractions from the room I'm working in. That doesn't just go for working from home, either. It also goes for when I'm writing blog posts or running errands in town - it takes a lot for me not to go and just sit in a coffee shop and read a book (during normal times at least). What with the lockdown on, it's made those little coffee shop trips considerably infrequent, making me more productive even when getting personal tasks done. 

Refrain from multi-tasking for a while

Multi-tasking can often do more harm than good, mainly because your attention has been split across numerous different things at once. If you keep your focus on one task in particular, it's more likely that you'll complete that specific activity to the best of your ability as opposed to juggling lots of things at once and then missing something when it comes to the really important tasks. Although you might think that multi-tasking is efficient, it really isn't, especially if you'e juggling lots of complicated tasks.

Replace negative feelings with positive ones

I understand that this one could be easier said than done, but try and find the good in everything as opposed to being down about things all the time. For example, being in a full lockdown is rubbish - we can't see anyone or do anything right now, all for good reason! 

However, lockdown has enabled us to spend quality time with family that we otherwise wouldn't have done, we might have learnt a lot about each other in that time, you could have taken up a new hobby or acquired a new skill. 

Some people have taken up open university courses or written books with their spare time. I'm fitter than I ever have been because of the gyms closing as I took up running - there's some good in everything,all you have to do is look for it and offer a fresh perspective.

Identify situations that don't deserve my attention

Some things just aren't worth worrying about, dwelling on or thinking about - that's just the way it is. Lockdown has put everything in perspective for me, so things I used to worry about I no longer think about, because I've learnt that it's just not worth my time or my energy. 

Lots of situations have occurred over the last year that I've just stood back from and thought "you know what? I'm not going to let this bother me", and that's quite a big achievement, personally. You'll also find you feel less negatively about things overall if your overall attitude about things changes - that's what I've found anyway.  

***

I hope you found this blog post useful! Let me know in the comments what you do to refocus your mind and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post for you all :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts