5 Tips for Parting with a Sentimental Ring When Having it Resized

We got engaged a couple of months ago (eek) and, unfortunately, the ring was a bit too big. So to avoid it dropping off my finger when I got a bit cold, we decided to have it resized professionally. While it wasn't too difficult to find a jeweller who would alter the ring down three sizes, the most difficult part was actually leaving it with the jeweller in the first place.

To actually take it off my finger for the first time since I put it on the day we got engaged, and leave it with a total stranger took a lot of courage. Simply because the ring is so sentimental, of course. So it got me thinking how other people feel when they leave a sentimental ring at a jewellers to have it resized. Seeing as I've gone through it myself, I thought I'd offer some tips for how I dealt with the process!

Think back to why you're having it resized in the first place

When we were in the jewellers having a consultation, if you like, I had to keep reminding myself why I was having it altered in the first place. You've got to think the same thing. You're having it done for a reason and our reason was that I didn't want to lose it. So where I had to part with it for six weeks, it's no where near as bad as having it fall it off my finger never to be seen again.

Make sure you get the jeweller to write up a description of the ring you're handing over together with the condition it's in

If you want to make sure you're getting the same ring back in the exact condition you give it in, get the jeweller to write a description of the ring and its condition when you give it over. This will also be dated. It might be worth, as well, taking a picture of it too.

We've got through Beaverbrooks and they didn't actually need prompting to do this. She inspected the ring with jewellers gloves and a magnifying glass and typed up the exact condition. This gave me peace of mind that it'll be treated carefully and with the respect it deserves. The description she gave was something along the lines of:
  • Some moisture build up from hand wash/hand cream
  • No stones missing
  • No scratches
  • etc
The description was also printed onto our receipt and invoice which was dated so we felt we were in good hands going with Beaverbrooks.

Use a replacement ring for a while

It might leave your finger feeling naked. I kept forgetting we were engaged because I just didn't have that physical symbolism for weeks. Something that can help is using a replacement ring. Perhaps ask your mum or grandma if they have one that they wouldn't mind lending you for a while so you feel a little less naked while your ring is being resized.

Always ask for a receipt or an invoice that details the works agreed

Our receipt and invoice not only included a description of the ring, but it also detailed the work that needed to be carried out and that we would be happy for the ring to come back slightly oval rather than round. Your ring might come back oval if it needs to be considerably reduced in size, like mine. It's even more likely still if the shoulders contain stones, like mine, but the jeweller should discuss this with you before you agree to any work being carried out. This was then printed on our paperwork so everyone knows where we stand.

Relax

I just had to keep reminding myself that my ring was in good hands. It can be difficult when you first give it over, but once it's done, just keep in mind that it's in the best possible place and that it'll be looked after. Just make sure you do your research before handing over a ring, especially if it's sentimental or valuable. You want to make sure you're getting the best service and that they have a good reputation. Then the only other thing left to do is wait for a phone call saying you can go and collect your newly-sized ring :)

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know in the comments below whether you've ever given a sentimental ring over for resizing and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts