Worried About NOT Getting into University?


I know that for some of you, university is paramount, and it is for me, however, a couple of years ago I didn't get into uni as I dropped 40 points needed to do my course (I got 200 out of 240). I was devastated, I felt like a failure and I was embarrassed to even tell people, and to be honest, I was a little ashamed of myself. The sixth form I went to drilled the prospect of uni into my head almost everyday, making out like going to university is the only way to make something of yourself, and I think that's why I put so much pressure on myself, I also worried a heck of a lot about what other people thought of me, hence why I was so embarrassed to have to explain to people why I didn't get into uni, but I've changed that mind set now, although, at the time it was utterly heart breaking to be rejected.
I'm not writing this to show you what I've done with my life since, I'm writing this to show you that if, come results day, worst comes to the worst and you can't get into uni this year, your life isn't over, it might feel like your world has ended but trust me, things will get better.
If you don't get into university, I want you to come back and read this post, to remind yourself that there's a way forward and plus, there isn't just one way to get into uni. When I found out I didn't get in, the first thing I did was look for apprenticeships because I thought the only way of getting into uni was to do A Levels, and seeing as I'd had a terrible experience at sixth form, I refused to do A Levels again, but then I realised that doing an apprenticeship wouldn't make me happy and instead I booked myself in to see a professional who could guide me in the right direction in terms of my education and she said I could do a BTEC in something instead of doing A Levels which appealed to me greatly as they tend to be coursework based and I'm no good with exams usually (it takes a heck of a lot of hard work for me to do well in an exam), but having been to an open day and having seen what it entails, I decided that it wasn't for me.
At this time, I knew there was only one way forward, and that was to go back and do some more A levels. I know that for some of you, doing more A levels, or retaking the ones you have sounds horrible and possibly the worst thing anyone could ever suggest you do, but these past 2 years have gone by so very quickly, it feels as though, back in 2013, I blinked and now I'm here, in July 2015 getting ready to go to uni, and I couldn't be in a better place.
When I didn't get into uni the last time, my grandma told me that everything happens for a reason, if I had gone to uni then, I wouldn't have had a steady or stable income, I wouldn't have had much work experience, I never would have volunteered in charity work, I would have been 18 and scared of leaving home, I wouldn't have had the experiences that I have now, I feel like those 2 extra years I spent doing 3 more A Levels has helped condition me, and has helped to make me more confident and a heck of a lot more independent and that's something I will be forever grateful for.
I guess that with my story, I'm trying to tell you that, no matter what you do in the future, and no matter what you decide to do if, in August, Uni is no longer a possibility, just remember that when one door closes, another one opens and it will pave the way for something better.
I know its easy to say now, but if, come results day, they aren't what you wanted, and they aren't what the uni wanted either, don't panic and try not to get upset, remember YOU CAN GET IN THROUGH CLEARING. If you have your panic head on, how can you be in the right mind set to get things sorted? The sooner you do it the better.
I could have gone to uni a couple of years ago to do English and Teaching with a university I'd never heard of before, in a place far from home and so I made the decision not to go. Don't make big decisions on a whim or because you're upset and just want to go to uni to do something, but please think rationally if that time should come, do you want to waste £27,000 plus on something you won't be happy doing, in a university you've done no research on, in a town you've never been to before? Don't make decisions while you're still upset or angry, trust me, it won't end well.
Try and take things as slowly as possible, its not a race to get go to uni, no one will think any less of you if you hold it off for a year or 2. Remember you can do intensive A levels courses where you'll only take a year out instead of 2, think of it as a gap year ;)
SUMMARY
*When one door closes, another one opens.
*Everything happens for a reason.
*You'll come out of it as a more well rounded person with experience and more wisdom than any 18 year old going into it first time. 
*You don't have to take 2 years out, you could only take 1.
*No one will think any less of you for putting uni off for a couple of years.
*Don't make clearing choices while you're upset or angry.
*ENJOY THE DAY
I know that last one seems impossible, but whatever you come out with, you'll deserve those grades.
When I was in sixth form, I got 2 Cs in English Literature and Philosophy & Ethics, I managed to pull those up from Ds, I was very happy and proud of myself, despite not getting into uni, only you know how much hard work and effort went into getting those grades, whether you'll do better than expected or a little worse than you wanted, you deserve to be proud of yourself, don't be embarrassed like I was, hold your head up high when you tell family and friends, you deserve to be happy after 2 years worth of academic hell.
So, on the Thursday 13th August, I will raise a glass to everyone who did A levels and came out the other end with nothing but their head held high!
On that note, there's only one more thing left to say...
GOOD LUCK!
__________________________________________________
WHERE TO FIND ME
PREVIOUS BLOG POST: 'My Month In Instagram Photos'


Comments