Half a Decade Later... Celebrating at Brown's


On the 26th November, Tom and I celebrated our fifth anniversary and in true Lorna and Tom fashion, we went out for a bit of posh nosh at Brown's in Nottingham. I do believe that there are a few of these restaurants dotted around the country and we have been to this one before for a work's Christmas party and we remember it being quite a sophisticated joint and so we thought it was the perfect place to celebrate five years of being together and I took you along for the journey :)

Starters - a delicious mound of mushrooms & warm baked bread

Let me first start off by saying that the customer service at Brown's as absolutely amazing. The waiters and waitresses were all very pleasant and couldn't do enough for you. It was by far one of the best places I have been to with regards to the service we've received so it's worth going back just to experience an all round friendly yet highly-professional table service.

Anyway, back onto the food! For a starter, Tom had mushrooms on sourdough bread and I opted for the whole sourdough with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. In hindsight, the whole baked sourdough I had was very big and so I wish I'd have gone with something different, but Tom ended up eating it with me so it wasn't all bad and didn't spoil my appetite for the next course!

Tom's mushrooms weren't creamy but they were herby and moist, having been cooking to complete perfection rather than being overdone, like some restaurants do them. He was overall very impressed with his first course. As this isn't a review of the place (this blog post is more to document the occassion), I won't go into what was in it and what we thought too much as it might bore you, but all you do need to know is that it was divine and we're tempted to go back JUST for those mushroom - yummy!

"Mushrooms on sourdough - wilted spinach, white wine, garlic, parsley, toasted pine nuts"

Mains - a hearty beef pie & a delectable salmon fillet

The main courses were just as much of a delight as the starters. Just as we thought it couldn't get any better, the chefs pulled it out of the bag with our second course - amazing. There isn't any other word I can think of to describe this dish as it simply was divine. The salmon fillet was expertly roasted, it almost fell apart on the tongue. It was sat on a bed of roasted potatoes and veg, all topped off with a deliciously creamy sauce that was simply the icing on the already delectable cake.

Tom went for a Guinness beef pie and ended up declaring that it was the best pie he had ever eaten. His meal came with buttered mash and a beautiful red wine jus that he just devoured. Even the pastry was light, flaky and buttery - everything you could possible want in a beef and ale pie.

"Brown's steak & Guinness pie - buttered mash, red wine jus"

"Roasted fillet of salmon - sauteed heritage potatoes, peppers, onions, spinach, beluga lentils, white wine veloute"

Desserts - scrumptious sticky toffee pudding square & a rich chocolate brownie

We rarely eat three courses when we go out for dinner. I'm usually fine with just a main course but if I were to have two, I'd rather have a starter than a dessert. But I was feeling rather naughty that Friday night and decided to push the boat out and treat myself to a pudding. I opted for the chocolate brownie while Tom went for the sticky toffee pudding (no surprise there, haha). 

They were both delicious and Tom described his dessert as being rather light and fluffy as opposed to a heavy pudding. The brownie was quite a but heavier than that, but the ice cream made it more manageable and less dense, which was good. I must say though, I was very full by the time we left, but when in Rome, eh?

"Home-baked chocolate brownie - dark chocolate bark, honeycomb ice cream"

"Sticky toffee pudding - ginger ice cream, salted seed granola"


***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post! Have you celebrated an anniversary recently? What did you do to celebrate? Have you ever been to Brown's before? Let me know what you thought in the comments below and I'll see you again really soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts