Subtle Ways We're Making Our Home Feel More Christmassy

Christmas is fast-approaching and in three days it'll be the first day of advent. How quickly has this entire year gone, eh? Anyway, I thought I'd show you what we've been doing recently to make our home feel more Christmassy. Bare in mind that we're still not into the full swing of things in terms of festivities, but there are a few subtle things we've done to add some Christmas cheer and I'm super excited to share it all with you.

Our Christmas gnome

We bought this Christmas gnome from Dunelm and named him Murray, as in "Murray Christmas", get it? Haha. Anyway, he was about £15 and he just makes me smile every time I see him by the TV. We did have him placed on the hearth of the fireplace, but we like him in his new spot! I'll leave a link to the gnome below for you, just in case you wanted one for yourself :) OH and his beard also lights up - magic!

Burning candles

I know people probably burn their candles all year round, but for me, I like to wait until the colder weather sets in, then I'll light my candles. This signals the start of Christmas in our house and around the festive season, our home will always smell delicious, like freshly baked cookies and cinnamon. It makes me feel warm and cosy and it's also a delightful way to welcome our family and friends during the festive season. 

So far, I have been burning 'Sweet Honeycomb' and 'Home Sweet Home' by Yankee Candle, but I also have 'Christmas Cookie' waiting in the wings to be burnt during the entire month of December and into the New Year.



A festive doormat

I've always wanted a Christmas doormat that I could drag out when the time came and I finally found one and it matches Murray. This one was from B&Q and cost me £6 which I didn't think was too bad. It adorns three Christmas gnomes and it adds just the right amount of festiveness with the right amount of fun as well. 

Hanging fairy lights

Fairy lights have always had an association with Christmas for me as I'll only ever hang them during the festive season. Whether battery-powered or mains operated, I will find a way to hang Christmas lights come rain or shine. 

Not only does it make the place feel cosy and inviting, but it also adds just the right amount of colour and I'm totally here for it. I'm also toying with the idea of covering the tree in coloured lights rather than white lights this year, but we'll see how I feel once the day arrives.

Buying a Nutcracker

We visited Chatsworth House a couple of weeks ago and while we were there we purchased a 50cm tall wooden Nutcracker and we absolutely love him. I have always wanted one that was red and traditional-looking and he was just right. 

They did have another Nutcracker available that was predominantly blue with a white ad gold hat rather than a conventional black one, but we preferred the red one, of course! Despite being more drawn to the red one, however, we did seriously think about buying them both, but for £40 a pop, we thought we'd leave it until next year, haha.

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post! Let me know in the comments how you're making your home feel increasingly more Christmassy this year and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post - Merry Christmas!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts