What Do I Ask for at the Hairdressers?

Unlike most people, I really don't like going to get my hair cut. There's just something about it which just makes it something that I don't really look forward to each time. In fact, I hate having it done that much, I'll wait between 4 and 5 months to have it cut and I'll make sure it's cut relatively short so that I can leave it for as long as possible. So what do I ask for, exactly, when I go to the hairdressers? 

It really depends on the season we're in on the day I'm attending. Seeing as it's winter time, still, I won't be asking for it to be as short as I perhaps would have done in the summer, but I'm still not a fan of keeping it shoulder length for too long as I find shorter hair to be easier to wash, dry and even style. 

Keeping it short...ish

I haven't had it cut as short as I would have done had it been the summer time, but I've still had about 2.5/3 inches lopped off the bottom this time around. The last time I had this done was August, so it's been quite some time and it had just gotten to the point where I really couldn't be bothered with it anymore. You know when I've had enough of my hair when it ends up spending more time tied in a pony tail than wearing it down. I think it's more out of contempt for my own mop that I end up having so much chopped off but hey ho, it grows back :)

What about layers?

For about five years now I've had my hair styled without any layers in it. You might think that this just makes it boring and possibly even harder to style, wash and dry than having a do with multiple layers, but I actually don't find it to be much of a problem at all. The only thing is you have to make sure you're going to a good hairdressers as the length needs to be the same all the way around and it has to be straight and even throughout, so there is a bit of an art to cutting hair that's all one length. 

I have been known to spend over an hour in the hairdressers before just waiting for the lady to go around my hair, checking it with mirrors, running fingers down it and snipping it every so slightly once in a while. Only when they're absolutely certain that my hair is straight and even will they eventually show me what it looks like from behind, so they really do spend a lot of time and take a lot of care over it. 

When they ask me "so, what are we going to do today?", I just say "a couple of inches off the bottom, all one length, right side parting with a tapered fringe" and they just say "right, let's get you gowned up then", no questions asked!

Where do I go to have my haircut - independent or chain?

I have always been to independent hairdressing salons. I've not really been to a chain before and there's no real reason why not to be fair. I just go where is close, easy to get to and is reasonably priced. I have been known to pay upwards of £45 for a cut and blow dry so I go anywhere where the price is around that mark or cheaper. I'll also spend a lot of time reading reviews online so I know I'm going somewhere decent and that my hair is being cut by someone I trust. 

I'm not really loyal to one place which is a bit of shame because I'd love to go to just one place, but it's not always feasible. However, we have recently moved to a village and I had my hair cut at the local hairdressers there, so you never know, I might now dedicate the cutting of my mop to the village hair salon.

Will I change my go-to style any time soon?

I'm not sure I will change my style anytime soon because I quite like it the way it is and I'm also not so keen on any other styles right now. I'm sure that I'll change my mind eventually and perhaps choose to have a longer hairstyle in future, but there's just something I like about having it shorter and all one length so I don't think I'll be deviating from that any time soon. But trust me, if I do opt for a different style, you guys will be the first to know :)



***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post! Let me know in the comments below what you ask for when you go to the hairdressers. Have you stuck with the same style for years, like me, or do you go for a different style every time? I'll see you again soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments