What Our Coronation Weekend Looked Like: Afternoon Tea, Russell Howard & Giving Blood

The Coronation weekend came and went so quickly, but I enjoyed every single second of it. At the end of the weekend, I really enjoyed looking through Instagram and Facebook so I could see what everyone else was doing to celebrate the happy occasion and it got me thinking. I had actually got up to quite a bit over the last few days, so I thought I document it on here for, not just myself to look back on, but for those of you who are just as nosy as I am. I hope you enjoy!

Saturday 6th May: Afternoon tea with homemade scones & seeing Russell Howard live

On the day of the Coronation, we went round to my parents' house where they had a lovely spread of food out for us. There was a wide selection of sandwiches on offer, including coronation chicken, cheese and onion, BLT, tuna and cucumber and more. They were so fresh and absolutely delicious. There was also a selection of quiches, scotch eggs and pork pies. 

We sat and ate lunch whilst we watched Charles become King, all washed down with cloudy lemonade and dandelion and burdock soft drinks - very traditional to the previous Coronation, I would say. We then followed lunch through with a couple of small homemade scones that Tom and I made the night before. We had clotted cream and strawberry conserve to go along with it and they were just divine. 

By the end of the day, we were stuffed. I couldn't possibly eat another thing, I was so full up. But we had to get a move on because we went to see Russel Howard at the Nottingham Concert Hall. I had bought Tom the tickets for Christmas and we just couldn't wait to go and have a night of laughs and giggles. He was absolutely brilliant. I'll probably do a dedicated blog post all about our evening, so keep your eyes peeled for that :)

Sunday 7th May: Giving blood, a family roast dinner & a village walk followed by the Coronation Concert

Sunday was a busy day. Tom and I were having his mum, dad and grandad round for a roast dinner and because we wanted to roast a whole chicken and slow-cook an entire gammon joint, we had to get up early so as to prep it all and make sure it cooks in time. We also cut up all the veg and out it in pans ready for when we were ready to cook it all.

The reason why we did all that prep work early in the morning was because I was giving blood at 10:30am and our guests were due to arrive at 12:30pm, so we didn't have much time in between for anything else. But while we're on the topic, I gave blood for the 15th time on Sunday, which is pretty awesome, so when we got home, it was a mad rush to make sure everything we cooking so we could sit down and eat on time. 

We then made stuffing, roast potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnips, cauliflower cheese and boiled up some broccoli for good measure. I did want to do some Yorkshire puddings, but I totally forgot to include them, although I don't think anyone really minded. 

We cooked everything in our brand new oven and it all went in all at once, cooking at the exact same time. Because it's a compartmentalised range oven, we can have all three ovens on at the same time, all at different temperatures, when needed, which is perfect when cooking an entire roast dinner. By the time we were finished with the main dinner event, it was time to move onto the pudding.

For dessert, Tom and I made individual Tiramisus, served in cappuccino cups and sprinkled with cocoa powder for good measure. We made it without the alcohol as two of our guests were driving and we also didn't have a whole lot of time. By the time we were all finished and had a sit down and a coffee, we were ready to go for a walk to burn off some of those calories.

We walked around the village, through muddy fields, mostly, but we eventually ended up on the main highstreet so we could have a look at the wonderful Coronation display the community centre had made and put together for everyone to enjoy. It was a wonderful set up, but I loved it so much, I thought I'd include some photos for you :)

It was around 7:30pm by the time we got home again and Tom's parents both stayed into the evening to watch the Coronation Concert. We popped open the bubbly and enjoyed a slice of Victoria sponge cake from M&S, topped with mini chocolate crowns, which was very apt. We just sang the night away with good food and lovely company and, unfortunately, it was all over in a flash :(

Monday 8th May: A 5K walk, a Marvel marathon & a curry for dinner

I don't have any pictures from this day because it really was very chilled out, other than our 5K walk. Also, when I say 'Marvel marathon', I mean the super hero films. We started watching those in order and I'm actually loving them so far. So we started the morning off watching Guardians of the Galaxy, one and two, and that's when we decided we should probably go and stretch our legs. 

After our 5K walk, we had a shower, enjoyed some lunch and then watched the Avengers: Age of Ultron and Antman, which is, apparently, something we have to watch as part of the Marvel timeline. But in and amongst all of that film-watching, we found ourselves getting hungry so we ordered a curry from our local Indian and it was delicious - just the right way to end a Bank Holiday.

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know what you go up to over the Coronation weekend and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post for you :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments