Everything I Thought About When Getting New Glasses

Getting new glasses can be a really exciting time for those of us who have to wear them either regularly or  permanent basis, but it’s important that we do a few things before we choose our latest frames. So here’s everything I thought about when getting my new glasses; from having an up to date eye test to browsing Pinterest for the latest styles.

Making sure my prescription was up to date

The first thing I did was go and have an eye test because it had been over two years since I had last had one. Although my eye sight hadn’t changed much in that time, it still needed to be updated so I could make full use of my new specs. So make sure you go for an eye test before choosing new frames. 

Establishing a budget

Eyewear can be an expensive outlay for those of us who need it, which is why it’s important that you establish a budget that suits you. Places like Specsavers and Boots have loads of frames available for a budget price, starting from just £29. 

I bought two pairs from Specsavers that came to around £140, but that’s because I liked the frames and had a budget of around £150-£200. Go in with a figure in mind and stay within that so you don’t go too overboard.

Finding frames that suit my face shape

When you go into the opticians, you get free reign of the glasses they have available. Pick them up, try them on and decide if they suit you or not. I find it useful to bring someone along with me for a second opinion - my sister is usually pretty good at this as she can be brutally honest. 

Making sure I get measured properly

After you choose your glasses, you go over to a separate desk and they’ll measure you up properly to make sure your glasses fit you specifically. This is why you might find that other people’s glasses are either too big or too small for your face, because they’ve been made for an individual and not as a ‘one size fits all’ approach. Make sure you get measured properly, notifying the optometrist if they don’t feel quite right and they’ll adjust the specs accordingly. 

Deciding whether or not to get a spare pair of glasses

I always find that having a spare pair is so useful, especially if you have to drive wearing your glasses, like me. I have one pair for use when I’m not driving and another for when I am,  because I got an anti-glare film put on my driving ones to help with sunlight or when it’s just bright out. They have a thicker frame than my usual pair but they’re ideal for throwing in the glove box of my car so I’m never without them - lifesaver! 

Choosing to have an extra film on the lenses

I’ve already touched on this, because I opted to have an anti-glare film added to my driving glasses, but there are lots of different films they can add, including if you work with screens, for example. It’s imperative that you tailor your glasses to your lifestyle, so even though it’ll cost more money, it’ll be so worth it in the end.

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know in the comments what you like to think about or do when you go to get new glasses and I’ll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post :) 

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts