4 Tips for Overcoming Driving Anxiety



Driving can be an ordeal for some, myself included. While I'm much more confident now in comparison to when I first passed my test, there are still days where I find it a little bit overwhelming. 

I sometimes get headaches after journeys that last longer than half an hour and I find my body feel tense at times, often because I'm concentrating. But much of it comes from anxiety around driving. 

Seeing as it's something I have had from the offset, even when I started my driving lessons, and something I still experience now, albeit not as often, I thought I would share with you some of the things I do to have a more confident car journey.

1. Try relaxation techniques before you start driving

There are loads of ways in which you can become more relaxed when driving. Before setting off, practice some relaxation techniques at home. Breathing in a controlled manner and practising some mindfulness techniques are both a great start. Remember, don't do this while you're driving, do it in preparation for yor journey. 

2. Repeat some affirmations to boost your confidence

Affirmations are things you tell yourself, like mantras, before embarking on something. There are affirmations for everything, from working out to finding the motivation to do some blogging. 

This means that are affirmations you should be drilling into your head when it comes to driving. Before setting off, tell yourself things like "I am in control" and "I am safe". Be positive and believe in yourself, have a chilled out mindset that is prepared and controlled before you set off on your journey.

3. Be patient with yourself (& those around you)

I know from experience that it can be very easy to lose patience with yourself. You start to wonder why you're being so silly and you keep asking yourself why you're like this. I have been known to get frustrated with myself at times when it comes to driving, but you have to be kind to yourself in terms of how you handle your anxiety. 

You're anxious for many reasons, and they're all justified. The only way in which you can help is by giving yourself a break. Don't be too harsh on yourself and be patient. You aren't just going to turn into a confident driver at the drop of a hat, just because you've told yourself not to worry. 

It takes time. Also, you need to be patient with other people, because a lot of driving is dealing with others who are on the road at the same time you are. Don't get road rage, keep calm and ask your passengers to be understanding of your need to be calm and collected.

4. Slowly increase the amount you drive

Practice makes perfect. The only way of becoming a more confident driver is to expose yourself to it gradually. It can be overwhelming to try and run and before you can walk, which is why slow exposure to driving is the best way to overcome your fear. Where this won't cure your driving anxiety over night, you will notice a difference in a few months. Just give it some time.

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post and that you found it useful? Let me know in the comments below whether you have any driving tips for those who are nervous about being on the roads and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts