The Hallotober Tag

It's nearly the end of the month and you know what that means? Halloween is almost here! Who's excited? I know I am :) So I thought why not mark the occasion with the Hallotober Tag? I find these types of blog posts to be quite quick, fun and entertaining. But I enjoy writing them as much as I like reading them, hence why I decided to do this one for you today. Enjoy, friends!

1. What's your favourite thing about October?

I love the changing colours and the drop in temperature. Suddenly, everything feels warm and cosy and it also gives me an excuse to light a thousand and one candles and drink hot, spicy beverages. Halloween stock is in the shops and Bonfire Night is looming and it all makes me happy, basically.

2. Do you celebrate Halloween?

We do celebrate Halloween, but we don't go all-out like some people do. We put a pumpkin in the window and we get dressed up and wait for Trick-or-Treaters to come to our door, but we don't host parties or go big with decorations. I find less is more when it comes to Halloween, but each to their own, eh?

3. What's your favourite horror movie?

I'm going to be one of those annoying people and say that I can't really pick one single film to nominate as my favourite horror film. I find horror films and spooky films to be two different genres, so my favourite horror film would have to be The Exorcist, but my favourite spooky film would be The Amityville Horror - the one made in the 70's. I think it's clear that the retro films do it for me, haha! 

4. Would you prefer a cosy night in or a costume party?

As I've said before, less is more for me when it comes to Halloween, so I'm far more likely to snuggle down with a blanket, a pumpkin spice latte and a scary film than get dressed up and go out partying. But once again, each to their own! You might prefer to go out to a costume party rather than be boring like me and stay inside.

5. Which has been your favourite costume to date?

My favourite costume to date was when I dressed up as a zombie back when I was about 16/17. I thought my makeup and hair was pretty spot on. I also bought some cheap clothes and ripped holes in them and covered them in red, black and brown chalk paints. I do have a picture but you can't see the clothes I'm wearing. Also, excuse the bad quality picture, haha. 

6. Bobbing for apples or pin the hat on the witch?

I've always loved apple bobbing. It's a game we played when we were kids at our own family Halloween parties and I'll always have wonderful memories of that. I'll level with you, I've never actually played 'pin the hat on the witch' before, so I can't really comment on that. But if it came down to choosing between trying something new and apple bobbing, I'd pick apple bobbing every single time.

7. How do you celebrate Halloween, normally?

We stick a pumpkin in the window, put on a spooky film, get some snacks and a bag of sweets and wait for Trick-or-Treaters to call. When we were kids, however, we invited our grandparents round and we laid out a buffet full of Halloween treats and spooky-shaped sandwiches. We'd put on Halloween music and try our hand at some apple bobbing and scary musical chairs - still musical chairs only with Halloween tunes and not your average chart stuff. Looking back, we really did have a really wonderful time!

8. Do you have a least favourite horror film?

I have a few horror films on my list of ones I'm not so keen on, including Scream, Drag Me to Hell and Candyman (80's version). But my absolute least favourite horror/spooky film of all time is Paranormal Activity. It's just boring, predictable and all-round ridiculous, but that's just my opinion!

9. What's your favourite trick-or-treating memory?

I remember taking my sister out Trick-or-Treating, just around to our immediate neighbours who had decorations up, but it was one of the first times I took her out on my own as she's nearly five years younger than me. But I'll always remember feeling a huge sense of responsibility and just loving the fact that we were spending some time alone with each other, even if it was on the spookiest night of the year, haha.

10. What is your favourite thing about Halloween?

One of my favourites things about Halloween is creating a design and carving out my very own pumpkin. I look forward to it every year and I've never NOT had a pumpkin when the day arrives. But that has got to be one of my favourite things about Halloween, that and having an excuse to eat leftover sweets that weren't picked up by Trick-or-Treaters.

11. Scary or silly costumes?

I think if you're going to dress up for Halloween, you should do it properly and that includes dressing up in a scary costume as opposed to a silly one. But that's just me! I think it's more fun to dress up as something scary because you wouldn't get away with it at any other time of year. 

12. Do you have any favourite trick-or-treating goodies?

YES! I absolutely love a piece of chocolate or even a Cadbury Mini Roll to switch things up a bit. We always make sure we've got a mixture of sweets, bite-size chocolate bars and cake rolls, all in their own individual packets, of course. But I don't really have a favourite thing that I'd pick up if I went Trick-or-Treating and that's because I've never actually been and done it myself. Even when I took my sister out, I didn't partake.

13. What's your favourite pumpkin carving to date?

I've done quite a few over the years, but some of my favourite ones are featured in the photograph below. I'll always remember my mum taking a lot of time and care over carving out our pumpkins when we were kids and they were always quite elaborate. It's a shame I don't have any photographs of those to show you as it was about twenty years ago now, but if I ever find any, I'll be sure to show you :)

14. Do you have a favourite Halloween decoration piece?

We never really had any Halloween decorations when we were kids and we don't really have any now. We're pretty minimalist when it comes to that sort of thing, but we did make paper chains and skeleton faces out of paper plates and other crafty bits and bobs, but nothing decorative or elaborate. Sorry to disappoint!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post! Let me know in the comments what your answers are to some of those questions and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts