We Saw Micky Flanagan Live!

If you're not really a Micky Flanagan fan, then you might not be aware that he went on tour this spring. But as huge fans ourselves, we were super excited to hear that he was finally coming back after five years off. Of course, Covid didn't help things, but we didn't actually think he'd ever tour again after such a successful spell a few years ago. My mum also really likes him and his sense of humour, so we bought her a ticket for her birthday. So on Friday 31st March, we all ventured down to Birmingham's NIA to watch him performing live.

Although, before the big man himself came out to give us all the laughs we all needed, there was a support act on. Unfortunately, I can't actually remember his name. I would have Google him when he said what his name was but we couldn't actually use our mobile devices, even smart watches. We had to put them into pouches at the entrance doors which were then locked and could only be unlocked by a member of staff with a wand. I guess he didn't want the gig to be filmed. That's why I don't actually have any photos from the night itself, but I do have these physical tickets which, in themselves, are rare these days. 

It was actually quite a good thing, I think, to not have phones on hand. People were chatting to each other where they probably wouldn't have done before and we just took in more of the experience overall as opposed to passing time on our mobiles and smart watches. It was nice to hear people actually talking to one another, it made a nice change. 

Anyway, as I was saying, there was a support act on before Micky and he was very good. It's such a pity that I can't remember his name because I totally would have plugged him. You might be able to find him if you Google who Micky's support act was this year, but I haven't found much in my online wanderings. He had everyone in stitches, although his material was pretty close to the bone and not something that you should watch with your parents, although I did, haha.

When the support act had finished, or the warm up act (whichever you prefer), then there was a 45-minute break which gave everyone the chance to get more drinks and food and come back to their seats at a leisurely pace. We were sat in the tier a couple of block away from the stage, so we were pretty close to the action, really. The good thing was there were a couple of big screens up on either side of the stage so you could get a good look no matter where you were sat.

Eventually, the time came for Micky to come on stage and the reception he received was like nothing I had ever heard before. It was incredibly loud and people genuinely were happy to see his return to the stage. He got right into things from the offset with no small talk or messing around the begin with. He got stuck in with a story about lockdown and how he and his wife managed being shut up in the house together with their 13-year-old son. 

It was extremely relatable throughout. He touched on, as I've just said, lockdown, and then he seamlessly moved onto his school days, doing P.E. and interacting with the new boys who had come into his year (in the 70's) who were originally from Cyprus. It then quickly moved onto holidaying with the in-laws and dealing with noisy neighbours. All of his stories involved something that you could relate to, even me and Tom who are both 28. 

If you've never heard of Micky Flanagan or if you've never seen any of his material, then look him up on YouTube because his stand-up comedy is absolute gold. If you're not into quite a bit of swearing then he might not be for you, but you might want to overlook it for the amount of laughing you'll do. There wasn't a moment in his show where we weren't laughing and I actually ended up leaving the venue with aching cheeks because I was smiling so much.

I'll leave you with the only photo that we took on the night and it's of Tom and I, before we went in, standing by the canal in the drizzle. It's actually not a bad photo because you can see how happy we are and how much we're looking forward to seeing the show after waiting so long for his much-anticipated return!

***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know in the comments below whether you've seen Micky Flanagan on his latest tour or if you've seen him on previous tours over the years and I'll see you again very soon with a brand new blog post :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME

Twitter

Instagram

Pinterest

'Like' Us On Facebook!


PREVIOUS BLOG POST

A Much-Needed iPhone Upgrade: My New iPhone12


COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Disclaimer

Comments