12 of My Favourite City Breaks (City Far)
I'd like to think that we were well-travelled, so far. We've been to a lot of places over the last decade, but I've also been to some lovely places with my parents growing up. Anyway, it got me thinking that there are loads of places we've been to that have really stood out in my mind, looking back. So, I thought I'd share some of my favourite city breaks from around the world, so far, as there are still a fair few places we'd still like to visit. But for now, here are my top 14 favourite city breaks, so far...
1. San Francisco
This is at the top of my list because it really was an amazing city. I loved our time there. Not only is it full of interesting and historical sites, like Alcatraz, but it's also architecturally beautiful and it boasts some amazing parks and recreational spaces, like the Palace of Fine Arts.
It also offers some incredible views of the Golden Gate Bridge, of course, and the gorgeous bay. It's also home to the Giants stadium, which is the baseball ground of the San Francisco Giants (we were able to get tickets to one of their games while we were there).
The Giants stadium itself has a wonderful setting, sat right on the bay with views of the water and bathing in sunlight. It's an incredible city. If I moved to the States, San Francisco would definitely be a place I'd look to relocate to!
2. Nashville
We visited Nashville back in 2018, but it really was a wonderful trip. I loved Nashville for the beautiful city, the live music and its dedication to authentic barbecue food. You don't know what you're missing if you've never been before, even if you just go for the food and nothing else.
The night life is also one of a kind, providing a safe setting to walk around, enjoy a few drinks and listen to the live bands playing with bifold windows flung open out onto the streets. I've never seen anything like it and I doubt I will again outside of Nashville.
It's also located by the water, making for a wonderful setting for an even more incredible city. Would I go again? Absolutely! If you're planning a city break in Tennessee, then definitely choose Nashville as a place to visit.
3. Venice
Moving from north America to Europe, we visited Venice in October last year and I absolutely loved the place. From the gorgeous weather to the beautiful architecture and its impressive history, it was all incredible. We only spent three days there, which was enough time to see the sites, but I felt as though we needed longer there just to have more time to relax.
Even the hotel was gorgeous. You can do everything, from relaxing by a pool atone of its many luxurious hotels to exploring the city and eating and drinking the most wonderful food and wine. Venice has something for everyone and, when I think back on it, I feel tingles down my spine and I always feel sad that I'm not still there.
4. Boston
Boston was one of my favourite cities that we visited back in May. It was a place that really stood out to m and left a lasting impression on me, in more ways than one. The people were lovely, their public spaces are gorgeous and the history is one of a kind. Being one of the oldest cities in the US, it's packed with historical sites everywhere you look. We even had time to watch the Boston Red Sox at their home ground.
You can't visit Boston and not learn something about American history. I definitely have a newfound appreciation for the USA's journey to independence, while taking in all of the stunning, red-brick architecture along the way. Ironically, it reminded me of home. With that, Boston will always have a special place in my heart. If you get a chance to visit, do it!
5. Quebec City
Quebec City is definitely a stand-out location for me. Located in wonderful Canada, it's the French-speaking part of the country, so it perfectly blends North American culture with European charm. The French-Canadians are definitely one of a kind. Everyone was so nice, warm and very welcoming. They have their own identities that should't be confused with any other part of the world.
A unique experience that I will always think back fondly on, Quebec City is full of tiny streets, amazing food and stunning architecture. You should also drive on over to the island to visit all of the independent shops and wineries along the way. They even have their own waterfall, which is taller than Niagara Falls, so it's definitely worth a visit, in our experience!
6. Toronto
Toronto was such a cool city. It was very chilled out, but it had all of the charm and excitement of a major city. The best part? The CN tower that offers amazing panoramic views of such a beautiful place! It also has an incredible underground city that's home to a wealth of shops and restaurants, as well as a train station for good measure. What more could you want? It's by far one of my favourite cities I've visited so far.
7. Las Vegas
Vegas is like no other city I've seen. Located right in the middle of a desert, with nothing else around it other than miles and miles of scorching sand, it's definitely a hive of activity in the heart of Nevada. Along with guaranteed sunshine and round the clock buzz, you're only an hour away from other major landmarks, including the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam.
8. New York
I've been to New York before, about fifteen years ago now, so it was definitely worth another trip just to see how it's changed, and it definitely has changed. The skyline has altered in the last decade and a half, with loads of new high-rise buildings. But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It just adds something new that you weren't expecting.
Anyway, New York has always been a love of mine. You get all of the hustle and bustle of a major city, with small havens of calm here and there, with walks through Central Park and other small parks and gardens dotted throughout the place that you can nip in and out of when you want a break from the busy city. There are also plenty of skyscrapers you can go up to get incredible views of the city as a whole.
9. Rome
Going back to Europe, Rome is a stunning city. It's full of history and beautiful architecture that's just unrivalled. Not to mention, the food and the weather is absolutely second to none. I loved Rome so much that I didn't want to come back home. I could definitely make a move out there. Imagine having all of that history and beauty right on your doorstep.
10. Cambridge
A little closer to home this time, Cambridge is a gorgeous city in England. We visited there about eight or nine years ago now, and it was lovely. We visited all of the museums, independent shops and small cafes that it has to offer. Its architecture is beautiful and there are loads of small lanes and streets that you can venture down and explore.
Read About Our Trip to Cambridge (links to days one and two are in the linked blog post)
11. Memphis
Memphis is a place we visited about eight years ago, at the same time we visited Nashville. While it's not made it right to the top of my list of favourite places, it's definitely a place that I'll remember for a long time to come. It's definitely unique, but its number one attraction is Graceland, the home of Elvis! Whether you're into the King of Rock or not, it's definitely worth a visit if you're planning a trip there.
12. Edinburgh
Edinburgh was just gorgeous. It's full of history and beautiful, gothic architecture that I've not seen anywhere else in the world. I'm not entirely surprised that a story like Harry Potter was born there. It's got the perfect balance of dark, mysterious vibes and a whimsical, romantic atmosphere. I loved the place! So much so, I'm looking to go back at some point just to experience it all over again.
***
I hope you enjoyed this blog post. Let me know in the comments below whether you've been to any of the cities on my list, or if you have your own list of favourite cities and I'll see you all again soon with some brand new content!
***
WHERE TO FIND ME
PREVIOUS BLOG POST
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION













Comments
Post a Comment