Exam Preparation | Top Tips


Its that time of year again, you've now reached the stage where (probably) all you want to do is rip your hair out and go and sit down in a dark room where you'll rock back and forth in despair. If you're not feeling even a little bit like this, then I'm incredibly surprised. You're either way too chilled out, or super duper organised, if so, well done to you! But for the majority of you out there sitting GCSE, A Level or Uni exams, I'm sure you're not 100% prepped and ready to sit your exams. My friends, my fellow 'stresser outers', this post is for you :)

I have put together a number of things that help me prep for my exams, including ways to cope during study leave when all hope seems lost! I hope you find them useful, I know I do :)

Give yourself enough time to revise...

This seems like a pretty simple thing, it may be obvious to most of you, but for those that are sitting A level exams for the first time, who think you can get through your A levels the same way you did GCSEs, you my be unaware of exactly how much work, effort and preparation goes into passing A level exams, you need to start revising months in advance, you can't scrape by on three days revision, or cramming your head full with stuff the night before your exam, it just won't work. 

If you're now panicking because you haven't left a lot of time, I can only advise you to start doing intensive revision now. By 'intensive', I don't mean cramming everything in all at once, instead you should focus on practice papers, if you do essay subjects, create essay plans using your notes, then do a timed practice exam using that. If you're a visual learner, try and summeraise everything onto one sheet, try flow charts and spider diagrams, make it look appealing so you'll read it. Trust me, it's a very productive way of revising.

Organise your study space...


There's no point trying to revise on a desk full rubbish, and by that I don't mean chocolate bar wrappers or empty wine bottles (xD), just simply clear your work space enough that you can properly spread out, and work on it. If like me you revise from A3 sheets, you'll thank yourself for getting rid of that pile of dirty washing on your desk xD

Practice past exam papers...


I won't go into this too much as I have already touched upon this point, but I absolutely swear by past exam papers. One of my teachers told me, that you wouldn't take a driving test without first learning the skills to enable me to pass in the first place, so why do it in a written exam? If you can get your hands on past papers then I highly recommend you do because they're an essential revision tool in my eyes. If you can't get any from your teachers, try and get some from your exam board, they're so easy to access online. You could even make up some questions yourself at home.
If you're going to do an exam paper, try and do it in timed conditions, and maybe even try it in exam conditions. Go somewhere quite, maybe a library or your bedroom, go to the loo before hand, take some water and a timer, and treat it like an exam. Discipline yourself, especially if you haven't experienced a proper A Level or GCSE exam before.

Take regular breaks...


Regular breaks are essential to studying, especially if you plan on doing 7+ hours of revision a day (I'm not joking about that number by the way, especially if you're doing A Levels). For me, reading helps me to relax, but you do whatever you want, if you want to go to the gym , go to gym, if you want to watch Disney, watch Disney, do anything to take your mind off studying. I'd give myself an hour or so to chill out, perhaps how long it takes for me to watch a film, but don't give yourself a ridiculously long break, you'll need to get back to the books at some point again that day, so don't put it off :)

Talk to yourself...


  I always find talking to myself very useful, especially after revising a certain topic. I might write out some notes, do an essay plan, then stand up and talk about the topic I've just done work for! Even if you just talk to your Mum or Dad about it, it will help :)

Snack on brain food...


I know this isn't food per say, but because its filled with fresh fruit and contains at least one of your 5 a day, I find fruit juice and smoothies an amazing way to get energy without reaching for a bar of chocolate. If you'd prefer to eat something, snack on some raisins, nuts, yogurts or even a handful of blueberries.

Plan your exam day...


I know, that with all the stress of exams, the last thing you'd want to do is this, but it really helps ease the pressure. Write on a small notepad or piece of paper what you want to happen that day, try and be time specific as well to avoid indecisiveness. For example, lets say you have a 9am exam, decide the night before what time you want to be up, for me, I'd aim to be up by about 7:45am, leave yourself enough time to have a good breakfast, porridge would be good, then note down what time you'd want to be at the venue for, lets say 8:45am to leave a good amount of time to prepare yourself mentally and for also getting all your pens etc ready. After your exam, there's no need to be as time specific, but if you still have exams remaining, decide what time you want to start revising that day for those.

Drink lots of water...

 
You can tell what kind of water I like can't you? xD I know water doesn't taste like anything, but this is my favourite brand to buy, but, that was going off on a tangent. I think water is essential for keeping the brain active, it also helps to keep you hydrated, and, if you drink enough of it, it can really help your skin as well, so revising could become somewhat of a beauty treatment xD

Get plenty of exercise...

 (sorry for the quality of this photo, it's an old photo taken on my old iPod xD)

This may go without saying, but, after sitting around all day, the only thing I'd want to do is stretch my legs. I might go to the gym or walk the dog around the park, either one is good and better than being hunched over your desk for the most of the day.

Get 8-10 hours of sleep a night...


During exam season, it's essential that you get enough rest and sleep. You can't be falling asleep during your exams. If you're tired, you won't feel 100% focused, and you're less likely to stick to the question in hand. Make sure you get plenty of sleep and refrain from using any smart phones, tablets, laptops etc before you go to sleep, it will strain your eyes! You don't want sore eyes on the morning of your exams!

I hope you found this post useful, even if you didn't take everything away from it, I'm sure you could take away something from it! Good luck with all your fabulous revision and obviously, good luck with your exams, I'm sure you'll all do fantastically well :)
___________________________________________________

WHERE TO FIND ME


DISCLAIMER
I have not been paid or sponsored to write this specific blog post. All views and opinions are my own. I am not affiliated with any companies that may be mentioned in this blog post. All photographic content is my own. No Copyright infringement intended.

Comments

Popular Posts