Things I Wish I Knew Before Going to University


University is perhaps one of the most significant experiences you will ever have in your life, that's if you decide to go. Granted, it' not for everyone and there are so many alternatives now. But what if I were to go back and do university all over again? I asked myself what advice I'd give myself now, having gone through it all. Instead of making it a personal thing, I thought I'd make it a feature right here on my blog. It might even help those of you who are going to be starting this September. Just keep in mind that I'm not trying to scaremonger you, just see it more as a heads up ;)

Your student loan isn't free money

I didn't live off my student loan. Why? Because I barely got any. Instead, I worked part time at the local supermarket, working Friday and Sunday nights, and transferring to a store back home, working through Christmas, Easter and Summer every single year for my whole uni experience, so I understood the importance of money. It keeps a roof over your head, food in your tummy, textbooks on your shelves and a little left over for necking a few shots!

I was 20 when I started uni, so I'd like to think I had a slightly more balanced head on my shoulders being a little older than everyone else. I was quite sensible with my money, and that also went for my student loan. It purely went on rent, and even then, it just wasn't enough. It isn't free cash to do what you want with, don't be one of those people who sees a four figure sum in their bank account and then goes out and buys a television or a games console. Eventually, you will have to pay that back.

Once you finish uni and you've graduated, you'll get a letter through the post from the government, almost in the form of an invoice, and that total amount is absolutely eye watering. Now, people I knew at university got twice as much student loan as I did, so imagine the size of the figure they now owe in comparison to myself! It's mind boggling. Go easy and make that money last, because at the end of those three years, you'll still have one heck of an overdraft to pay off ;)

Your first year really does count

Despite what everyone says, the first year at uni is perhaps one of the most important years out of the three. Take all tests and assignments seriously, and get to know your personal tutor from the off-set, they can be highly beneficial to you throughout your time at university. From being your teacher to a shoulder to cry on when you're feeling low, it's important to build a rapport with them as soon as you're able. Ask for help when you need it and don't just bumble along doing 'ok'. Granted, don't burn out because you still have two more years of studying to go, but don't see it as a year dedicated to partying and eating Domino's pizza.

Don't leave referencing to last

Referencing takes an enormous amount of time, especially when writing an essay which is upwards of 3,000 words...although by my last year, I'd have given anything to write 3,000 words as opposed to the lengths of some of the essays we were writing. Anyway, I digress. Referencing should be done as you go, if you find a quote you wanna put in somewhere, reference it when you find it. Not only will this save you a heap of time at the end of your task, but it also means you won't lose the will to live after spending upwards of two hours inputting them all, then sorting it all into alphabetical order!

The library is your new best friend

The library acted almost as a sanctuary to me, especially during my second and third year. I was always in there gathering information and typing up my findings. It really is the best environment for you to learn and gather your thoughts effectively. It limits distractions too, take in a cup of coffee (if you're allowed to, some libraries don't allow hot drinks) and a cookie and get down to business. Try to avoid wearing headphones as well if you can, especially if you're in a quiet zone.

Fresher's flu isn't a myth

I'll be honest here, I never actually got Fresher's flu...but I had friends who did and it really is horrendous. I actually have no idea how I managed to escape its clutches, as I usually catch everything that goes around. All I can say is be prepared for it, because it definitely isn't a myth, people!

It will be a great experience 

There will be times where you'll ask yourself why you even bothered with university in the first place, and if you turn around and tell me you didn't think that at least once during your time at uni, then I won't believe you. But don't worry, because everyone feels like that, and that time usually comes in your final year. However, there will be many enjoyable things about uni that you have to look forward to, including making a heap of new friends, experiences and memories. 

University shapes you in a way that no other experience can, you go through a lot and experience many things, often for the first time, such as leaving home or getting to know a brand new city. It can be a scary time, but feelings of apprehension soon fade as you begin to meet new people and have great experiences with them. Enjoy every second, because before you know it, it'll all be over and you'll have a scroll in your hand!

***

If you've made it this far, then you can read all about my experiences at university as they happened, below:

My First Year at University: A Reflection
My Second Year at University: A Reflection
My Third Year at University: A Reflection

***

I hope you enjoyed this post and you took something from it. Good luck to all those starting university in September, you'll have a blast!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME


PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

  1. I like this, especially what you said about the student loan. Very responsible and good info.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts