Tom's 30th Birthday: Breakie to Die for, Fun at Roxy's Ball Room & Dinner at Brown's


At the back end of August, Tom turned 30 - how exciting! It's a new chapter in life. Given what we've achieved in our twenties, we're looking forward to what our 30's hold for us. But Tom has started that journey already (I'll catch up in March, haha, but enough about me!), so I thought I'd share with you how we celebrated the day. It was on a Tuesday, so we booked it off work as annual leave and really made the most of the day off. It all started with breakfast...

A 30th birthday breakfast of champions

We went to a Derbyshire pub called The Dragon for a spot of breakfast. We had been there before for food and thought it was excellent, but we'd never been there for breakfast, so we thought we'd give it a try. Tom went for a full English whereas I went for Avocado Benedict. 

It's essentially Eggs Benedict but with avocado on the English muffin rather than ham. It was delicious. I'm a sucker for things like that, especially if it involves avocado. We had our breakfast with a glass of orange juice, then we went back home to get ready for our night on the town!

Fun at Roxy's Ball Room & Turtle Bay cocktails

We got into our gladrags for the next part of Tom's day - some fun and games at Roxy's Ball Room in Nottingham. We had booked to do a game of darts and then a game of crazy pool. You might be wondering what crazy pool is, because I did. 

Imagine crazy golf but on a smaller scale and at the same height as a table. Instead of a club, you're given a snooker cue and a ball to pot. It's quite a good concept, but I think we both enjoyed the tech darts more. Tech darts is basically normal darts but there are games you can play on the computer and that's what makes it "tech" darts. 

I had never played darts before, but it turns out that I think it's my new calling in life, haha. We were there for a good two hours, including the time it took us to have a drink there, but it really was so much fun. I'd definitely do it again. 

By the time we had finished at Roxy's, it still wasn't time to get to Brown's for dinner yet, so we headed around the corner to Turtle Bay where Happy Hour was still on. We had four different cocktails, but I only remembered to take a picture of two of the rounds we had, haha. 

We had two high-ball ones and two smaller ones, one of which was Amaretto-based which was delicious. If you're looking for a decent cocktail that doesn't break the bank, then go to Turtle Bay at Happy Hour because you can get two for just over a tenner.

A family dinner at Brown's & birthday cake to finish

By the time we had drunk our cocktails at Turtle Bay, it was time for us to make our way to the restaurant we had booked for Tom's birthday meal. It was the same place we visited for our engagement meal, so we knew it was a lovely restaurant that's reasonably-priced and that served amazing food. Also, the service is always fantastic. 

I had a sea bass and chorizo risotto and Tom had the Shepherds Pie with chunks of lamb and seasonal veg. Tom had a pudding, whereas I didn't. Tom went for a sticky toffee pudding, in true Tom style. I was saving myself for a piece of the birthday cake, which was brought out to us by the amazing staff at Brown's in Nottingham. 

I had obviously brought the cake to the restaurant, but they presented it so beautifully for us, using the candles I had supplied also. Overall, the experience at Brown's was incredible and I'm so glad that we chose that establishment to celebrate Tom's birthday. 


***

I hope you enjoyed this blog post? Let me know in the comments below what you got up to when you turned 30 and I will see you all again soon with some brand new content!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME




PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts