5 Lessons I've Learnt (So Far) Since Graduating University


University is a funny old place. Loads of things happen, loads of life lessons that many of which, you can take into your working, adult life. So here's what I've learnt since graduating university at the age of 23.

To read about the events that occurred throughout my three years at uni, you can read about them below :)


It Doesn't Prepare You For the Work Place

This may sound ridiculous, but really, university doesn't prepare you for an office environment. It doesn't prepare you for 9-5 working durations, it doesn't prepare you for allocated lunch times or working with loads of different people with lots of different skills.

It teaches you the skills and the expertise you need to get a full time job that is relevant to the degree you attained, it prepares you somewhat for independence and meeting new people in a new city, but that's about it. It hasn't been a shock on the system going into work, but it hasn't been a smooth ride into it either.

Valuing Friendships

I had a couple of really good friends before starting university, and both of them are still around and in my life today. But the friendships I made at university stayed at university. I left and I haven't spoken to anyone since. Being scattered around the country doesn't help really, but it's very different now not living 10 minutes away from each other.

Instead, it taught me to value the friendships I've had since I was 11 years old. Those friends are genuine and the most beautiful people I know, both inside and out. It's very rare to find that in someone and for a friend to feel the same about you in return. I feel grateful for them, even more so now I've been through university.

How to Say No

Before going to university, I was quite shy, a bit reserved, didn't like confrontation and would just go along with pretty much anything. But as events started to unfold, mainly in my second year of university, I reached a point where I felt I could finally stand up for myself, to not be treated like a doormat. I think I suddenly realised that I people treated me the way I allowed them to treat me and that had to stop. So I stood up for myself. I put my foot down, slammed on the brakes and finally said no. Ever since then, I've felt more able to speak up for myself and not to be taken for a fool.

It doesn't matter what your experiences at university were, it will teach you that lesson. Something will happen, or would have happened to make you evolve in the same way I did. I'm grateful for that, it has built up my character for the better, I also feel I'm taken more seriously as a result of no longer being someone who's seen as a push over.

Importance of Family

I'm a very family orientated person. I love my family. I have always been a home bird, even before going to university, so when I left and I no longer had my family with me, it was quite a shock on the system. When I did go home, it made me appreciate them a lot more than I had done previously. To this day I still do. Family is so important, sometimes it only takes them not to be there fore you to realise that. Yes they're on the end of the phone or you can Skype call or FaceTime but it's never the same and I missed that. Family is paramount to a lot of people's lives and I am so lucky to have one.

Don't Forget to Have a Life

It can be so easy to let university absorb every minute of everyday. Spending lunchtimes cooped up in the library, forgetting to eat, not seeing friends as much as you want to, not going home as much as you needed to, it happens all too much and way too often.

I don't want that to happen in my 9-5 job. Yes there may be times where I have to do a bit of overtime or work at home after my hours are done, but I won't let it take my weekends or the time allocated for my family and my boyfriend. It's easy to let those priorities slip in favour of doing just that little bit more work, but it's the start of a slippery slope, much like how it was when I was at university. Eventually I just thought 'sod it', I had time for work and time for my personal life and that was it and I think that's very important, not only for family but for my own mental health.

***

I hope you enjoyed this post, or found it useful in some way. Let me know what you've learnt since graduating university and I will see you very soon with another post!

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

  1. This is such a relatable post! I kept in touch with one friend from uni, but it was very interesting to see other relationships just drift away as soon as you stopped seeing them every day. I also agree with your 9-5 point. The only time I ever managed a 9-5 slot at uni was during essay-writing week (as I left everything to the last minute). I still dream of the flexibility of uni life, but I am grateful that once I get home after work that time is for me, and not anything like homework!
    Great post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I'm glad you've enjoyed my post, it's always interesting to see how others have got on after the uni life is over :) Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Post a Comment