A Visit to Newstead Abbey



My boyfriend and I visited Newstead Abbey recently. Before I take you into our visit, let me first explain the history of the place. Once an Augustinian Priory (a monastery basically), it has now become more famous for being the ancestral home of Lord Byron (a British Poet and Politician). Byron lived there, on and off, between 1803 and 1815 when it was finally put up for auction and bought by Thomas Wildman, someone who had attended Harrow School with Byron as a boy. It has had a fair few owners in it's history, but in 1931, it was presented to Nottingham Corporation, therefore, today it is owned by Nottingham City Council and is open to the public all year round.

It is a Grade I listed property and is set on 300 acres of land. As well as the house, the grounds are riddled with small foot paths, gardens, waterfalls, ponds and lakes. There are hidden gems around every corner and off the beaten track. So if you go, don't be afraid to venture off course and ditch the map for a more adventurous wander.

With that in mind, I took my camera and snapped some photos of the Japanese Gardens, the Abbey and even a Peacock ;) I thought this would be a nice break to all of the more 'wordy' posts I have been publishing recently. I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.


If you'd like to go, I'll leave some links below that you may find useful to help plan your visit. If you do go, then I hope you have as much fun as we had while we were there!



***

I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed researching and writing it for you all. I will see you very soon for another blog post. Have a great day!

***


WHERE TO FIND ME



PREVIOUS BLOG POST


COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments

Popular Posts