Blogmas (Day 15) | Things I Love About Christmas


I love this time of year anyway, the festivities begin, and I suddenly find myself listening to Slade and watching Home Alone before December even starts and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does that! But I thought it would be nice to share with you the things I love about the Christmas period.

Getting Together

It seems that, no matter who I talk to, everyone is looking forward to seeing someone at Christmas. Either they're visiting family far away for the first time in a year (or longer), a son/daughter/brother/sister is coming back from university or someone is simply driving home for Christmas having worked away from home. It seems that almost everyone has someone they look forward to seeing at Christmas.

This year, my brother came home from university, with him studying in Wales, we don't get to see him very often at home, so now he's home, the family feels complete again and I'm going to treasure that until he has to leave for uni again...but let's not think about that yet eh? :)

The Christmas Adverts

I can't be the only one who looks forward to the Christmas adverts that air around the end of November? John Lewis, Boots, Sainsbury's and even Waitrose have a funny one out this year. I will link them below for you. But the thing I love about it, is the anticipation. Is it going to make me cry? Will it make me laugh? Will it have a moral to the story? I enjoy seeing what these big companies have in store for the general public when it comes to their festive commercials!

My Favourite Adverts From 2018...

Sainsbury's (This one is my favourite this year! That plug socket though?)

Giving

I know this one sounds cliché, but the older I get, the more Christmas is about giving to others. I get a lot of joy out of buying someone a gift I know they'll love, and seeing the look on their faces, watching the people I love happy brings me the same joy. As an adult, Christmas as a different meaning to me now, I often think how lucky I am to have family, a house and something to eat this Christmas, a situation that sadly, not everyone is in. I make sure not to take anything for granted.

Writing Christmas Cards

I know this seems simple, but I really enjoy buying and then writing out Christmas cards for the people I care about. I like to buy individual ones, that suit their personality or humour or their relationship to me. I just lets them know that I'm thinking about them at this time of year. It's such a simple, but effective way of reaching out to those who you can't see around this time of year. I'm quite a sentimental person, so hand written cards are important to me, especially when they're from those I love and deeply care about.

I actually wrote a blog post as part of Blogmas earlier this month, where I wrote about The Importance of Writing Christmas Cards if you fancy an elaboration on my love for Christmas cards. What are your thoughts on card giving during the festive period?

Carols

It's (obviously) the only time of year where it's absolutely justifiable to sing 'Hark the Herald Angels Sing' (my favourite carol) at the top of your voice, with no questions asked. I love it. I went to a carol service at my local church the other day and I really enjoyed it. There was band and a choir, trumpets were playing for the chorus of 'O Come, All Ye Faithful' (another favourite of mine) and for some reason, it made me emotional! But my evening was made when I found out they were serving mulled wine! What a winner.

***

I hope you enjoyed this post, I will see you tomorrow with another one :)

***

WHERE TO FIND ME



BLOGMAS SO FAR



COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Comments